Is an intercooler absolutely necessary?

RXT

Ok. I'm in the middle of a build. The truck in question is a 99 Dakota 4x4. Nothing on this truck is original. Ive swapped an 01 quad cab to replace the original rusty cab. Then put in a Dana 60/70 with about 10" of lift and 41.5 Pitbull Rockers, underneath.

Under the hood we've shoehorned in an 89 6BT. The engine has been warmed over with an M&H M3 fuel pin, 3200GSK, M&H dynamic timing spacer, 5X.012 injectors, and an HE351CW. I do not currently have an intercooler for this set up, but the truck is still in the build phase. We're thinking about not running an intercooler because of the limited space left under the hood. And we may fab up a nice 3 or 4" cross-over tube. The truck will be a daily driver and run the local mud holes. I don't intend to use this truck to tow anything big. Maybe 500lbs at the most, maybe pull a small tree stump or two. After all, this is still just a Dakota frame with a really short custom bed. So, can I get away with not using an intercooler? I'm hoping EGTs won't be an issue, but if you think it will, will a water/meth system be a good enough alternative to an intercooler, to keep EGTs under control, on an un-ladened truck used for daily driving?

Thanks
Ed

Keep an eye on EGT and engine temps both if you're floored in mud holes, otherwise should be ok....I've run mine for 6 years with no I/C....

The 2016 ISB6.7L engine air intake / charge air cooler outlet ceiling temperature is 225*F. In late model engines, engines protection countermeasures will take priority in controls at 160*.

Keep an eye on EGT and engine temps both if you're floored in mud holes, otherwise should be ok....I've run mine for 6 years with no I/C....

When you ran your truck this way for 6yrs, I'm guessing that your engine was turned up, correct? If you don't mind, how was your engine set up at the time and estimated hp/tq? Thanks for the feedback

Ed

Back