Is there anything to keep heads from cracking?

03BlackWidow

I just found out my heads are cracked and that I completely wasted $3,400 on a set of elite's ported/fire ringed heads.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? Im about to sell my sct and just run the stock tune. I am sick to my stomach over how much ive wasted/lost on this damn motor.

Ouch! Sorry I don't have an answer for you... Sorry for your loss too. Time to swap in a CR?

There's nothing to stop it from happening.
I applaud the guys that keep on keeping on with the 6.0...but I don't regret moving on one bit.

I just found out my heads are cracked and that I completely wasted $3,400 on a set of elite's ported/fire ringed heads.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? Im about to sell my sct and just run the stock tune. I am sick to my stomach over how much ive wasted/lost on this damn motor.

How lond did the Elite heads last? What do they say about the situation? there must be some kind of warranty?

It's not Elite's fault unless you take into account they took more material out of a known bad casting. I had stock heads and a set of elite heads, both cracked within 10,000 miles. They would surely not warranty a ford part. Alot of people lose out on a core from the heads being junk when they are returned to vendor. I have heard of stellite valve seats being used but no long term results on that IIRC. Decking the heads just accelerates the problem.

No more then 2,000 miles on them I would bet. They saw some high egt's but figured they had the cracking under control, especially for the hefty price tag:doh: And clearly everyone is right that fire rings arent the cure for the 6.0 either because the heads came off cause w/ headstuds, egr blockoff and fire rings the truck was still puking coolant like crazy.

The heads are long gone by the way, ford was keeping them as cores for the new heads.

I know what you are going thru. Three sets of heads myself. ARP studs after the first set and did not help. Got over 30k on this set and still hanging in there.

Back