Is this turbo even worth/able to be rebuilt?

btwrangler

keepin an eye out for GDL
this guy at our local off road shop gave me a banks big head turbo...its pretty nasty....and the compressor wheel is chewed up.... i was thinkin of runnin a twin set up with the stock turbo thats sittin on the moter layin in the garage.

Last edited:
C:\Users\Sandra\Pictures\INTERNET\turbo 2.bmp

Attachments

• turbo.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Stock turbo...With a big head waste gate. And possible a housing. Def. not worth it. Just buy a 38r the first time and be done with it. The price you would spend on a rebuilt stocker. Your pretty close to 3/4 way to a great turbo.

that's what I was thinkin... but it was free so this one will be my guniea pig... it'll be sumthin good to learn from

Your guinea pig could end up blowing your motor. If oil gets past the seals, and starts pumping in the cylinders. It could run away on ya.

I used a stock turbo in a compound setup for about 2 months and it worked alright, but back pressure was sky high at a measly 60psi of boost. You could do it but would have to run an external gate to keep drive pressures down and not chew up the thrust bearing.

im not goina run the guniea pig on the motor I'm talkin bout just takin it apart and tinkering with it. The waste gate is good but the seals and compressor wheels are trashed

Back