Issues with throttle going up after engine is warm...

rightwinger

I currently am using the crazy carl APPS mount on my p pump, and I feel extremely confident that everything is set up, and working correctly. My throttle is smooth as silk, and during idle on a cold engine, it sits right at 750 rpms, once it reaches operating temperature, it seems to want to idle at around 950-1000 rpms. I have tried adjusting the idle screw down a little, and the problem I'm having is that if I adjust it to 500 rpms on a cold engine with the hope that it'll warm up to 750 rpms, I am having to give a little throttle input to get the truck started. I'm not sure I want to have to do that every time to start it. Is that normal for a truck's idle to increase a few hundred rpms on a warm engine? This is all been done w/o the A/C on....Any help would be wonderful.

The idle will increase a bit as the engine warms. If you are finding it changes too much from cold to operating temperature, try backing off your gov springs a click and readjust the idle. Should stabilize the low idle better. I had this issue when I first p-pumped my truck, but it would climb to 1400 hot.

I talked with Seth Farrell and he basically told me the same thing. I was setting my idle cold, and he said as the oil is cold and thick it will keep the idle down a bit, once the oil heats up and thins out, the idle goes up a little. Basically, either set the idle with a warm engine or set it a little lower than you need when the engine is cold so it'll warm up to the desired RPM.

Back