J1939 CAN bus data

Looks like the Cummins Bus is already wired to the data port. I just need to get the gauge and plug it in and try it.

Pin 3 and 11

Attachments

• Data Port (Medium).JPG
    Data Port (Medium).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 15
Pictures Picture Pictures

Well, there ain't much a 5 gallon bucket won't mount in a dash. The little plastic piece couldn't have fit better if it came out of an injection molder. Rednecks must just have the knack.

I'm waiting on some cable and connectors and junk to try it, but it looks dang good in the dash. The locking ring on the back of the gauge holds it in place so it can be taken out just as fast and the pocket deal put back in.

JWB

Attachments

• DSC02854 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02854 (Medium).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC02855 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02855 (Medium).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02857 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02857 (Medium).JPG
    43 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC02864 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02864 (Medium).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC02866 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02866 (Medium).JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02867 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02867 (Medium).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 14
First off Jory, you should really look into CLEANING the inside of your truck, it's not suppose to be red....Secondly, you shoulda just bought a smarty to stack with your edge and then you'da had mo powa' AND a code reader....I'm just sayin...

First off, this ain't no pavement princess there pal! LOL :poke: This truck see's more work in a week than prolly 50% of the trucks on here see in a year. :D

Second, not even the same class as a Smarty. Yes, I want a smarty, but this opens up a whole new can-o-worms for the racer types. I haven't seen these displays in the competiton/performance world yet and I don't know why. They are perfect. Here's why (and this soley depends on the cummins bus being available at the data port and it works, which I will try shortly).

You can display up to four engine parameters at a time and select from over 30 parameters (Edge Attitude give you something like 12 to choose from).

You can plug it into the data port in the cab (as long as I can make it work) and not penetrate (I said 'penetrate' huh huh...) the firewall. Power and everything is available on the same connector so one cable does it all (or so I think it will).

You can display four parameters as you simultaneously drive up to eight external gauges. These gauges are the same size as we use now. Buy a boost, EGT, and whatever else and stack them in a pod. As long as you don't mind electronic data driving your gauges instead of thermo couples and pressurized tubes you can display everything right there from the engine data on the port.

I can buy the fuel tank sender from them and hook directly to the readout and display the fuel level in my auxiliary tank.

If you are driving down the road and your engine throws a code, it pops up on the screen with the code and text in English (or any other freakin' language you want). If you want to ignore it, hit Enter. Hit Enter again to return to the code.

Adjustable backlight blah blah blah......

One of our old techs graduated and got hired on as a design engineer for them. He told me about them and I got one to try. It won't clear codes is the only thing it needs next. Maybe I can work that in as a suggestion for the next breed! :D

4x4dually said:
First off, this ain't no pavement princess there pal! LOL :poke: This truck see's more work in a week than prolly 50% of the trucks on here see in a year. :D

Second, not even the same class as a Smarty. Yes, I want a smarty, but this opens up a whole new can-o-worms for the racer types. I haven't seen these displays in the competiton/performance world yet and I don't know why. They are perfect. Here's why (and this soley depends on the cummins bus being available at the data port and it works, which I will try shortly).

You can display up to four engine parameters at a time and select from over 30 parameters (Edge Attitude give you something like 12 to choose from).

You can plug it into the data port in the cab (as long as I can make it work) and not penetrate (I said 'penetrate' huh huh...) the firewall. Power and everything is available on the same connector so one cable does it all (or so I think it will).

You can display four parameters as you simultaneously drive up to eight external gauges. These gauges are the same size as we use now. Buy a boost, EGT, and whatever else and stack them in a pod. As long as you don't mind electronic data driving your gauges instead of thermo couples and pressurized tubes you can display everything right there from the engine data on the port.

I can buy the fuel tank sender from them and hook directly to the readout and display the fuel level in my auxiliary tank.

If you are driving down the road and your engine throws a code, it pops up on the screen with the code and text in English (or any other freakin' language you want). If you want to ignore it, hit Enter. Hit Enter again to return to the code.

Adjustable backlight blah blah blah......

One of our old techs graduated and got hired on as a design engineer for them. He told me about them and I got one to try. It won't clear codes is the only thing it needs next. Maybe I can work that in as a suggestion for the next breed! :D

You know what, I bet if you put a dual flux capacitor in the muffler bearing you could probably get a simultaneous WTF reading that could be transmitted through the IDK transducer portal thereby reducing the need for the high intensity liquid code distributor that "penetrates" the wall of fire (HARDY HAR HAR HAR) :hehe: :hehe: I think you're on to something Jory :Cheer:

I can always count on your to make a Monday tolerable! :hehe: WTF readings! :hehe: That is what my computer was giving when the ECM went out! I said WTF really loud several times! :hehe:

4x4dually said:
I can always count on your to make a Monday tolerable! :hehe: WTF readings! :hehe: That is what my computer was giving when the ECM went out! I said WTF really loud several times! :hehe:

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: I'll be here all night folks...tips accepted... :hehe: :hehe:

Last edited:
Ok. Brain fart. Data Link connector is a different buss from the ECU. I will have to go to the cummins bus connector that my Edge plugs into. Also the +12 at the Data Link connector isn't switched so that's out too. Looks like daddy will be running another freakin' cable through the firewall tonight!!!! O-well. We'll get it runnin' tonight.

4x4dually said:
Ok. Brain fart. Data Link connector is a different buss from the ECU. I will have to go to the cummins bus connector that my Edge plugs into. Also the +12 at the Data Link connector isn't switched so that's out too. Looks like daddy will be running another freakin' cable through the firewall tonight!!!! O-well. We'll get it runnin' tonight.

If you would have listened to me the first time you wouldn't have to be double penetratin'...:poke:

B.A.Ram said:
is it not the one on the drivers side of the motor closer to the bottom where your typical edge comp would plug into?

I just threw codes again going to lunch. P0500, P1694, P1693, and P1687. I can't win for losin'. Dang electonically controlled sobs.

4x4dually said:
I just threw codes again going to lunch. P0500, P1694, P1693, and P1687. I can't win for losin'. Dang electonically controlled sobs.

Did you use your handy dandy super dooper WTF code translator thingy majiggy in your dash to interpret??? I believe if you add all of those codes up it translates into "wash your truck"...

No, they add up to I connected the display to the cluster bus (cluster something) instead of the cummins bus and it didn't like it! Once I get them cleared, I think they'll all go away. I just lack three little blue splices of having it hooked up. Maybe tonight he little girl will take a nap and I can mess with it!

So you got the ECM/PCM issue taken care of and everthing is back to running correctly?

Yes indeed. The ECM was toast. Bob Wagner hooked me up with a used one and it fired right up. I have been driving it since last Tuesday or so. I think this issue was the fact that the common bus didn't like the 120 ohm termination resistor across it that is required for J1939...blah blah blah.

:D

Edit: We had a power diesel lunch today at the BBQ hut, cm cow, and Jhurst, and I and we discussed how the VP44 trucks are crap and I have a piece of junk! :hehe:

Back