JD 329 info

Hillbilly hook

I am thinking of puttin a 329 in a ranger or f150, can ya'll tell me if there is any performance upgrades(nothing crazy) to give it alittle more from the go pedal? Thanks for the help

I know the 359 has a roosamaster on it and since they are basically the same engine I would think you could change it over to a .450 head in the pump. I dont know what your relialbility will be though.

Honestly, start with something else. 329 will not make huge power number or really even be adequate enough for a swap. Start with a 466 and be done with it the first time.

Honestly, start with something else. 329 will not make huge power number or really even be adequate enough for a swap. Start with a 466 and be done with it the first time.

Sure, throw a 1800lb engine in a half ton....then you probably won't be able to fit it in there without a body lift, or cutting the crossmembers out of the frame and starting over.

That 329 was used in the 2840's I believe...right at 100hp at the flywheel. In a light half ton, for economy purposes, that wouldn't be too terrible.

Another thing to remember is that the 100hp this thing made factory was for sustained load....I'm sure you could tune her up about 50% since you won't be "using" all that power constantly.

I still want to throw an old 301 AC engine in a pickup....

Chris

Last edited:
Back