kicker l7 opinions

mattlee

Looking at some kicker l7s for under the seat in an ext cab chevy

any opinions, lm looking for a good sound not to rattle the truck to death

L7s are square. Quality sound come from circular speakers. I used to have 2 10" L7s behind my seat in my last truck and instead of "feeling" the bass you could "hear" the bass. There will be a lot of bass but also distortion which you won't be able to get rid of because of the shape of L7s.

Look into JL. I have my eyes set on a set of 10TW3s from them but 500 bucks for sub's is kind of hard to justify ever since I learned what Cummins are capable of haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
I'd look at JL 10W3s or 8" if you really want 8s.

If your looking for good equipment that will actually sound good. I would look no further than Sundown audio. The names that have been mentioned in this thread so far don't compare.

JL makes subs that have better SQ than Sundown. Morel makes even better subs. Illusion Audio makes very nice subs as well.

You have to decide if you want nice tight accurate bass or groundpounder bass.

Sundown isn't a player in the SQ game...but if you're after SPL I'd be taking a look at them.
They hit 150+ outlaw style with a single 8 in a ported enclosure.
If you want SQ...a JL 8W7 is a good place to start.
If you go up to at least a 10 the whole world opens up for SQ or SPL both...many more options.

I would never do L7's in a sealed box under a seat. I love my 12" L7 in my 2.75" ported box.... it's loud. The sound is not as good of quality as the 12" JL W3 I have in my Camaro, but it's far louder. I wouldn't have the L7 in anything other than a large ported box. For your situation, I would go with JL's.

Surprisingly, the 12" MTX T8000 I got has pretty good sound for the price. It has 750 rms to it and it soaks every bit of it up without any distortion and I'm completely content with it. Though I'm contemplating go back to a 12w7 or try a different brand this time. Would like a Morel or an Illusion Audio.

EDIT: Just seen your looking at 8s. Id do JLs for what your looking for.

I'm not a huge JL fan (friends had JL equipment that was never set up appropriately causing it to sound like overpriced crap, but they mix'n'matched stuff that didn't have compatible power ratings or resistance), but for someone who wants good sound and a decent bump in volume, they'll get you there just fine. But for the love of god match your amp and speakers properly

Throwing a blanket statement out there that JL is crap just because someone's friend's system sounded like ass is stupid. The W7 is a world class SQ subwoofer....the problem is that idiots keep throwing them into SPL set-ups and ruining what they were make for. It has it's deficiencies but is awesome when done right. From there you'd be looking at a Morel Ultimo for the next level...Illusion Audio Carbon XL series above that.

For really good SQ with some grunt down low at a decent price the W6V3's are pretty good.

I'm not saying JL is crap. All the morons around here that have JL stuff just buy whatever they can afford at the moment, and then try to make it work. So I personally haven't had the pleasure to hear a well thought out and put together JL system. I know they are kinda pricey for mainstream stereo equipment. Alpine is usually a bit cheaper and has performed for me just fine so far. So personally, just not a huge fan of JL. Next time i'll remember to "IMO" first

I guess our version of acceptable is different...that's all. I wouldn't put anything off the shelf from Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, etc in my truck.

The reason certain things get a bad rap is people having no idea what they're doing when the install and tune...if they tune at all. I could show you JL based systems that would blow your mind and definitely change your opinion. Their ZR midbasses are some of the best you can get...and the W6 and W7 subs are very, very good. There's better of course...but they are way above average and there's a reason they're pricey. The bad thing is...if you think JL is pricey you'd flip at what some of the real high end stuff costs.

Last edited:
Hence why I'm ok with Alpine :lolly: I don't wanna spend a grand for 2 6" components. I want better than stock. I don't need a mobile studio so I don't pick things that are way overkill. I would actually love to hear the stereo in that 1/2 ton you did. Looked intense

Here is my current set up in my gmc, only thing i dont like is that the subwoofers face downward.
1957510_798620713500481_932802954_n.jpg

1922680_798620670167152_217671759_n.jpg

1947784_798620750167144_249725068_n.jpg

1898994_798620803500472_1370025703_n.jpg

1964262_798620876833798_1746903012_n.jpg

1800880_798620616833824_1146140975_n.jpg
1891911_798620546833831_1159032801_o.jpg

Back