Larger Alternator

D45

The stock 136amp alternator isn't cutting it anymore

What's a good bolt on option?

That's a ton of oomphf... Audio system killing it? What kind of batteries do you have ?

I just installed one of these. http://mechman.com/ I went with the 240a and a pulley sized to give me about 160a at idle and full charge at about 1100rpm

2012-11-13_16-41-52_117.jpg
[/IMG]

I just got this one from Nations Starter and Alternator. 300 amp max puts out 225 at idle .

For those who replaced the stocker with a larger amp unit.......did you upgrade the charging cable size also?

I just have a few accessories, that when are all turned on have a decent load on the charging system:

-winch
-PIAA driving lights
-PIAA fog lights
-1000W amp
-300W amp
-Triple 12V power source in the bed

I am still running the stock batteies....which are 8+ years old. When I find a larger alternator, I plan on buying two new Sears Platinum batteries (re-badged Odyssey's)
-

For those who replaced the stocker with a larger amp unit.......did you upgrade the charging cable size also?

Yes, you'll want to upgrade the wire from the alternator to the battery, the wire connecting the two batteries, and potentially the ground(s).

DieHard Platinum batteries and a DC Power alternator will be a tough combo to beat.

The stock alternators on the Ford 6.0L's are only 110 amp. (Single alternator app)

I was just looking for one myself through Adam at Nations.
Seems the 300 XPS is the only model he has right now in the XPS series...
So I was looking at the 270 XP...holy mother of gawd is it expensive for an alternator...

I'm really concerned about the amount of, or lack of, room I have, and the fact the XP's have the power post off the back...not the side.

Attachments

• Alt2.jpg
    Alt2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
Blown84, is it possible for you to take a measurement from the front of the pulley, to the back of that 300?

I need to know how much room I got, or don't got.

Thanks!

Does nations give better deals than DC power currently has going for the holidays? I was just looking at dc's website today and they have a discount deal going on.

Mean Green is another option. They build some of the best alternators and starters around.

2012-11-13_16-41-52_117.jpg
[/IMG]

I just got this one from Nations Starter and Alternator. 300 amp max puts out 225 at idle .

^THIS!!
I just put one of these on my FD's ambulance. The bus draws 280 amps with all the lights and fans and BS on. This alternator handles the whole load, at slow idle without the help of the factory installed secondary alternator. It maintains the voltage at 14.2 with everything on, where the stockers were burning themselves up to maintain 12 or less at 2500 rpm. And it looks cool too! Well worth the money. And it comes with a 2 year warranty.

Blown84, is it possible for you to take a measurement from the front of the pulley, to the back of that 300?

I need to know how much room I got, or don't got.

Thanks!

I just noticed your question. I will get you a measurement tomorrow.

Mean Green is another option. They build some of the best alternators and starters around.

I have heard and read about a ton of issues, complaints, and poor customer service with MG....mainly with their alternators

Found this info......

Cummins has a ambulance package on some 5.9 appliciations, which have a 220A Denso alternator.

The Denso part number is 421000-7001
The Dodge part number is 4801313AC

Denso confirmed that it was indeed a 220A alternator.

Rated output - 12V, 220A
2 Point Characteristics - 95A min @ 1600rpm, 193A min @ 2500rpm

Output volts -15.0V
Field current - 8.0A

So with a ratio of ~3.3 (crank pulley (7.872") to alternator pulley(2.360"))

@700rpm engine idle - Alternator rpm = 2310
@1100rpm high idle start - Alternator rpm = 3630
@1500rpm high idle top speed - Alternator rpm = 4950

So this shows that at engine idle the alternator is capable of outputting almost 190A.

Denso's are very good quality and are around $350

Back