Late model Mercedes CDI's

Billysgoat said:
Got something in mind Andy???

I've been 17K miles since September so at some point I need to figure what the next ride is going to be because 50K is coming up fast....

Then again, if nobody outside of a dealer could work on a PD VW what kind of cluster would a MB be?

We need some freaking diesel choices here in the good ole US of A!

Both Carlsson and Kleemann make "chips" for them. As I understand it, the Kleemann is a little smoother, but costs $1100.

DMS Automotive makes an upgrade that is undetectible by the dealer and is around $950. Its used with a laptop through the data port.

I've been trying to get my father to get one for his CDI. They run like a raped ape from the factory and can only get better.

Last edited:
Much to my surprise my dad brought up the other day how he was interested in the V10 Touregg TDI and I told him for $65K he's nuts.

I tried to sell him on the E320 but he wants a SUV so I mentioned Mercedes has a big diesel SUV and his eyes lit up.

I still say he nuts but I'd take it to Dunbar's race in Commerce and make passes with it.:evil :evil

A 320 diesel would be perfect for as much as I drive but what impression would it have when a young guy like myself pulled up to a potential retailer in a Mercedes?

TooMuchBoost said:
A 320 diesel would be perfect for as much as I drive but what impression would it have when a young guy like myself pulled up to a potential retailer in a Mercedes?

I hear ya, man. I also don't want that stigma of a high-end car unfairly hanging over my head all the time. Lexus, BMW, Mercedes - they're all subject to unfair criticism (due to jealousy?), intentional parking lot dings and/or other damage from miscreants. Anything that stands out is subject to this, but high-end nameplates are a magnet.

I've had my eyes on '98/'99 E300 turbo diesels for years now. Here are the factors keeping me from owning one:

1) I don't like the CANBUS mess that controls an otherwise simple and very tough engine (OM606). I don't have a problem with CANBUS, it's just that to my knowledge, nobody here in the US knows how to tweak these much beyond adding a chip.
2) I don't like owning an automatic transmission that nobody in the US knows how to modify to survive 400hp+.
3) I don't want people forming unfair opinions of me because I drive a Merc.

Cheers,

Matt

Holeshot said:
3) I don't want people forming unfair opinions of me because I drive a Merc.

Cheers,

Matt

At some point you just won't care what others think and you'll be much better off... I've been trying to drill that into my sons head for years LOL

I wonder how much of that knowledge on the Mercedes diesels would travel overseas "IF" Daimler chose to drop the Cummins in favor of the Mercedes?

Pat T. said:
At some point you just won't care what others think and you'll be much better off... I've been trying to drill that into my sons head for years LOL

Generally speaking, I'm the last person to care about what others think of me or what I do. However, when it comes to having a nice car, it seems like no matter how hard you try to keep it nice, someone else is hell bent on doing the opposite. Higher end cars tend to be targets for this sort of thing.

Pat T. said:
I wonder how much of that knowledge on the Mercedes diesels would travel overseas "IF" Daimler chose to drop the Cummins in favor of the Mercedes?

I'd venture to guess that this hypothetical situation would not change things at all. There appears to be a language barrier as well as the mentality of "We figured it out the hard way, why shouldn't you do the same?". I could be wrong on that last part, but sometimes it sure seems that way.

Matt

Tuning for CDI's

SP Diesel will be releasing something in a matter of days.:rockwoot:

Any of the Mercedes 3.0L Diesels for use in SUVs or passenger cars...This includes

ML320 CDI
R320 CDI
GL320 CDI
E320 CDI
Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Also
Sprinter Vans with 3.0L CDI

Simple plug in design. 3 power levels plus "Tru-Stock"... If you need pricing information, email us ....spdiesel@spdiesel.com

SPDiesel said:
Any of the Mercedes 3.0L Diesels for use in SUVs or passenger cars...This includes

ML320 CDI
R320 CDI
GL320 CDI
E320 CDI
Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Also
Sprinter Vans with 3.0L CDI

Simple plug in design. 3 power levels plus "Tru-Stock"... If you need pricing information, email us ....spdiesel@spdiesel.com
In Europe we have : Chrysler 300C , Touring , 3.0 CDI , and possibility to order AWD :woohoo:

and MB Vito (minivan) 3.0CDI

My Post was geared towards vehicles bought and run in the US. We have not certified anything for use in European cars...although if someone across the pond is willing to certify one for driveability send me an email.

Sean

Back