Leaf Spring Sliders

adamsmarshall

Drilling Crooked Holes
Ok so I stumbled upon these things yesterday by accident and now I'm intrigued as I've never heard of them being mentioned for use on this forum. I found pages upon pages of information on yellowbullet but they're all on 2wd S10's or Nova's.

So, my question, would these be of any advantage to use on a 4wd 3/4 ton diesel with only 2 leafs in the rear?! (can always add more leafs back) These would be run with caltracs or possibly ladder bars down the road.

From what I've researched they look like a very tried and true system, just having a hard time finding any that are wide enough for our 3" wide leafs.

Thanks for any more insight

I use them on my cars and dak, well over 15 yrs now, not on the big truck as it does work also and not worried about handling and losing the shackle sway issue.

Yeah I read a bunch on Pirate 4x4 but most of it seems to be directed more at the higher articulation with them mounted at an angle so the leafs don't gain spring rate. Whereas on YB they say to mount parallel to the frame/ground so the leaf gets stiffer which is more what we're after to keep the front tires loaded without unloading the rears.

I can't see how the slider helps the off-road truck since theyre after having lots of articulation, and the slider will beat up the spring.

As for the mounting of the slider with the angle or flat, you'll need to check your suspension travel, and are you using any other traction aids or you're going to do it all with the spring ?
I use the spring to be the suspension and traction link, and after checkin travel it's level to the ground, if you just put them on you could wind up unloading the suspension if it runs out of travel in the slide.

The slider I linked have 8" slides. I don't think he will bottom that out. From my knowledge they can be used to lower COG if needed, reduce one extra bushing, decrease shackle flex, can tighten up the rear "feel".

That all depends on the springs and how they're set up to how much it will move the rear section of spring forward, if the spring is the only piece to control the suspension ride, weight and power you'll be surprised how the spring will be pulled forward under those conditions if the front section of spring isn't matched correctly for it's use.

Remember, the shackle only allows so much wind up then it also acts as the stop and slows it but when jumped against it it also unloads the suspension, and adds to the HOP. The slider is very harsh when the spring isn't right and it slams the front of the slide. Trust me i have years of experience with them, been using them since the 90's.

If you're using a secondary traction aid or understand how to work leaf springs then you lessen the risk of hammering the slide and running out of travel.

That all depends on the springs and how they're set up to how much it will move the rear section of spring forward, if the spring is the only piece to control the suspension ride, weight and power you'll be surprised how the spring will be pulled forward under those conditions if the front section of spring isn't matched correctly for it's use.

Remember, the shackle only allows so much wind up then it also acts as the stop and slows it but when jumped against it it also unloads the suspension, and adds to the HOP. The slider is very harsh when the spring isn't right and it slams the front of the slide. Trust me i have years of experience with them, been using them since the 90's.

If you're using a secondary traction aid or understand how to work leaf springs then you lessen the risk of hammering the slide and running out of travel.

Good info.

OP, why not just link it if it sees lots of track time?

That's exactly why. I'd love to 4-link but I also want to stay competitive and since I'm not willing to gut the truck right now, it's just not a viable option.

With sliders I can run ladder bars and floaters with the leafs and stay competitive without moving into pro street

I looked into them quite seriously, but at the end of the day, I didn't think it was worth the cost to have a set built as truck shackles are typically fairly large and as such have a pretty good range of motion.

They are also way over built for lightened chassis, and really don't deflect that much. There are certainly tweaks that must be done to get them to perform optimally though.

Back