Lehmann Intake

jlbayes

Has anyone actually experimented with a Lehmann style intake on a Cummins head? To help with air distribution?

Some visual help for those that haven't seen or heard of them.

IMG_2570_zpsaixamcpv.jpg

all-Veloc-distrib_zpsdakvlvyw.jpg

I haven't, but I've wondered the same thing. Lehmann style intakes are definately a proven, time tested design with many turbo car rally race victories. I for one think it would work well on any diesel, because, they all stand to benefit from more even air distribution cylinder to cylinder. Maybe none more so than the Cummins head/intake combos out there.

I was at import vs domestic last weekend at mir. Every impot there weather a 4cyl or 6cyl ran the lehmann style intake. My first thought was ive never seen on a cummins.

A vendor and I were talking about it last month. Trying to get away from the typical runner intake or fabricated shelfs.

We will need one fab'd from lightweight aluminum looking back at us with a 3.5" band clamp.

Head isn't cut yet so If you or anyone else could recommend someone close, we need to get it done!!

In a Cummins application I believe I would lean toward using the upper plenum design pictured feeding a fabricated shelf on the head, rather than a individual runner for most applications.

If you went to the point of making a runner, and mating the intake runner with the intake port properly, the runner intake may be a improvement over the shelf design.

With typical cummins rpm the runner length would become a problem because of space. Alot of work to do if done right. You won't see much difference of overall power but increase under the curve. There is a thread on a Nissan forum i believe for a machined Lehman intake that has a ton of good info engine was a 6 cylinder aswell. Long thread but a good read.

In a Cummins application I believe I would lean toward using the upper plenum design pictured feeding a fabricated shelf on the head, rather than a individual runner for most applications.

This was the idea that was discussed.

With typical cummins rpm the runner length would become a problem because of space. Alot of work to do if done right. You won't see much difference of overall power but increase under the curve. There is a thread on a Nissan forum i believe for a machined Lehman intake that has a ton of good info engine was a 6 cylinder aswell. Long thread but a good read.

That is another thing I do not see discussed much. Runner length or plenum volume.

Back