Lightening wrist pins

RHP997

part-time
What's everyone's consensus on taking material out of the wrist pins? Building a new motor since the last one threw a rod so I am reusing 5 pistons out of that motor which were oem cummins pistons. Ordered one new mahle piston and sent it to get coated before checking it and come to find out its a little bit lighter. All in all I need to take about 10 grams out of the other 5 pistons/pins. Is there any risk to shaving some wieght out if the pins or even just running it with one piston/pin 10 grams lighter then the rest. The other 5 are all within 3 grams and will be using billet rods so they're all perfect to each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

A machine be shop should be able to balance them to the new piston weight. There should be extra material on the inside of the piston to lighten them up.

I've taken material out of the inside of the wrist pin before. There is like a little lip in there that you can drill into on a lathe. Things are phuckin hard as hell though.

I took some off of an extra one I had. I used a carbide burr with a die grinder. Worked pretty good I just thought it be easier in a lathe if I can take a slight cut on each one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back