Lincoln Ranger 250

RockinRam96

Had a Lincoln Ranger welder given to me by my grandfather last Christmas. Currently it is set up for stick, buy I would like to set it up for MIG or TIG. Has anyone got a welder like this set up for MIG or TIG? What's it going to cost me to set it up that way?

I have never TIG welded before but I would love to learn. Most of the welding I have done is either stick or with my little flux core welder. Not very good at it, welds don't look that great but I can get two pieces of steel to stay together.

I just haven't had time to get ahold of my local welding shop on this subject. May be a good starting place, huh? But if I could get any info from guys that already own one that'd be helpful.

Thanks.
Zach

To run MIG you'll need a feeder like a Lincoln ln25 with a bottle of c25 gas. You can find ln25's on craigslist for well under a grand and you'll have to buy or rent a bottle from your local supplier. I just bought a 60 cu ft bottle of oxygen for $180 filled, renting will be less then half that. To run tig you'll need a "tig rig". Basically it hooks up the same way as a carbon arc torch except instead of air you'll run argon. Your local welding store can set you up with everything you need. For a tig setup your looking at a couple hundred dollars, for MIG your looking at closer to a grand. You'd be a portable fab shop capable of everything but aluminium tig.

Btw, your tig rig will only be scratch start so you might wanna consider buying an actual tig welder with a foot pedal to learn on. It'll be easier then scratch start.

Back