looking at a 2.6 turbo should I buy it or run away fast?!?

eric28miller

HP lover
So a local guy posted up on faceplant his Precision 82 with 2.6 cover 87 exhaust wheel 1.25 t4 freshly rebuilt by precision.. He's asking $1,200, is it worth it? Just looking to start pulling next year with a fully built 24valve so I am clueless when it comes to the pulling world.. please help..

2.6%20turbo.jpg

2.6turbo.jpg

Check With the association you will pull with. If they are not changing 2.6 turbo rules to 3.0 smooth bore, you are good.

That doesn't look at all like a PTE turbo....that's a BW S400 reworked by someone.

That is a 3rd gen style BD cover on an S400 clipped to 2.6

I've never heard of Precision doing custom work like that so I would be leery. If the seller is willing to lie about its origins then its likely he is lying about it being rebuilt..

o yikes! It seemed a little too convenient that the receipts just got destroyed when his basement flooded. The cartridge does look new, but i'm guessing it's a chinese from ebay.. Thanks for the help!
While we're on the subject what direction would you guys point me for a good 2.6 turbo? Motor is from Freezingsystems built by Randy's Engine & Machine, fully built 24v w/Farrell stage 5 13mm pump

Yeah it would be best to talk to the club that you plan on pulling with and make sure of 2 things when it comes to turbo selection. 1. What are the turbo rules for the class you are pulling in and 2. Are the turbo rules for the next pulling season already in place or will they change and you end up with a turbo that you can't use to pull with in said club.

Definitely not a precision unit says diesel performance.com on compressor housing

i have a jeb 480 2.6 charger in the for sale section i'm trying to get rid of if you're looking for one still

i'm talking to a club member right now who just informed me i'm allowed to run a 3x3 smooth bore too.. but I also want to hot rod on the street every once in awhile..

Here are the rules:
Turbocharger: The vehicle is limited to a 2.6 inducer bore single turbocharger or 3-inch slick bore without map ring. The
compressor wheel must protrude into the 2.6 bore for 1/8 inch. The inlet must be measured using a 2.605- inch plug.
The plug must not be able to enter the inducer bore. A stock map width enhancement MWE groove is allowed. No
MWE groove will be allowed that has a width greater than .200. All provisions allowing the air into the wheel other
than via bore and MWE groove are prohibited. The vehicle driver will be responsible for making compressor wheel
accessible for tech personnel to measure bore, MWE groove and to inspect compressor wheel. No removable plugs or
reducers allowed to reduce to legal spec.

i'm talking to a club member right now who just informed me i'm allowed to run a 3x3 smooth bore too.. but I also want to hot rod on the street every once in awhile..

A 3x3 is a superfarm tractor pulling turbo, 3" compressor and 3" turbine. There should be no turbine restriction if you check the rules. Looks like they're just adopting PPL rules but allowing old protrusion 2.6 also like OSTPA and other regional sanctioning bodies. Check to be sure that 2016 was the only year 2.6 will be allowed to give a grace year for guys to get a legal 3". If they're going to be allowing 2.6 for 2017 you can pick up good chargers for cheap because they are not legal most places anymore.

this ^^

Give it a few months to see if any rule changes will be proposed and if not you can pickup an old 2.6 protrusion turbo for next to nothing as more and more will be on the market. I would be very surprised if it was a 3x3 class. I would equally surprised if they don't go mandatory smooth bore in most orgs next year as well.

That's a bd charger I know cause I mounted it on his brothers truck as far as rebuild I don't know for sure I think it was sent out , check with Adam at pinnacle he was dealing with it

Back