Looking to run 2 external gates

I run 2 Turbosmart 45mm gates around my secondary and 1 around the primary. I've also done quite a few with 38mm Turbosmart gates around the secondary on smaller setups. Depends more on the chargers. I always run the high pressure heads though. That way you can tune them with the springs and they are exactly the same. I've also played with mechanical regulators on them. On the Fummins we moved the oil filter. It did fit, I just didn't want the hot pipe that close to it.

E7968993-9641-4CCE-A0BC-26D9ECDBDE9C_zpsuxzdxh87.jpg

63EBA4C6-64C5-4826-945E-D3B50E66537B_zps9ree7afb.jpg

7322A20C-0287-4C5F-9C86-E871ACFF20F8_zpskugmyjv9.jpg

42D52C5F-342D-4631-8010-E034FEBDC641_zps9ovqjzgp.jpg

88489794-1353-4BD6-9489-D17360A2289E_zpshuikor6u.jpg

45109A87-0F11-40E6-BF37-A62A86B2392A_zpszgtrnyij.jpg

Beautiful work btw! :Cheer:

There is a chart on Turbosmart's website. I usually just start with the 35psi springs and adjust them from there. Tuning gates on a compound setup where the gates dump into the hot pipe takes time. Having pressure on both sides of the gate makes tuning a little more time consuming.

just trying to get the balance of how fast the gate opens and when or? just curious as that is how my jgs is set up. haven't had a chance to mess with it as the trans parts took forever.

I've been thinking about this as well so I'm hopping in on this. The tuning of multiple gates has me cringing.

You may want to toss a turbo on there if you haven't. I put mine nearly in front of 3 and 4 and had to make some offsets for my gates

You were exactly right! Ended up tilting them out to clear the compressor housing.

I've been thinking about this as well so I'm hopping in on this. The tuning of multiple gates has me cringing.

I just ordered up some quality Turbosmart springs ~25lbs. Hoping with good springs and a mechanical regulator they should act as one :rockwoot:

The whole deal should be done tonight, just got them all tacked up...

Attachments

• FRTVIEW.jpg
    FRTVIEW.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • BACKVIEW.jpg
    BACKVIEW.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
Glad it worked out. I ended up putting flanges in the manifold so I could move them around easier. But I made funky looking pipes. Yours on the other hand are beautiful

That is a thing of beauty!

So more on the idea of running 2 different springs? Will drive pressure become a problem on one half of the engine? Will that effect how hot each half will get? Or once they are open will it not be a problem at all?

Is plumbing mandatory or could you run it on spring alone?

Anybody run the .83 T4 s300 housing with an single puck internal gate and then e gate the other half?

Last edited:
That is a thing of beauty!

So more on the idea of running 2 different springs? Will drive pressure become a problem on one half of the engine? Will that effect how hot each half will get? Or once they are open will it not be a problem at all?

Is plumbing mandatory or could you run it on spring alone?

Anybody run the .83 T4 s300 housing with an single puck internal gate and then e gate the other half?

As long as I can get the gates to open and close at the same time, the drive should be equal in both halfs of the manifold. I'm running 25 lb springs in each that I will regulate with a mechanical in cab adjuster. Plumbing is not needed as far as i'm learning from reading, but will give you more control.

Thanks. I was looking more for the fellas that indicated running a different spring in each would allow them to crack at separate times.

Right. Staggers the opening to help get the primary going without a huge drop off. Dual 44m is a lot of flow.

Right. Staggers the opening to help get the primary going without a huge drop off. Dual 44m is a lot of flow.

This may be something I will have to mess with. Definitely foreseeing lots of tuning and trial and error with this setup to get it where it works best.

Another question for me is, does the drive pressure each gate requires to open get halved? In other words, would a 35psi spring on a single gate function the same as 2 17.5psi springs in 2 gates? If this setup would work without plumbing or a regulator I'd be more interested in this route.

Another question for me is, does the drive pressure each gate requires to open get halved? In other words, would a 35psi spring on a single gate function the same as 2 17.5psi springs in 2 gates? If this setup would work without plumbing or a regulator I'd be more interested in this route.

I have no way of explaining with evidence, however drive pressure should be equal across the whole area of the manifold. So that being true (or so I think), just because the manifold is now %100 two divided banks. The drive pressure will not be cut in half, it will just be confined to one side or the other. I'm running 25lb springs in each gate to start. Why is it you don't want to run a regulator? The plumbing really is quite simple.

Last edited:
Good to know. Thanks. What size housing you going with?

I'm just after simple stuff. I guess I could run a reg if its not too crazy.

Last edited:
S363/68/.91 T4 and S477/96/1.10 T6 is the whole setup I have currently

Back