Looney Wild - 06 +

Rob D

Get R' Done
I've heard some chit chat about the Looney Wild having problems for some guys with 06 + trucks. What exactly is going wrong for those of you experiencing problems? My truck runs right it seems half the time...the other half it isn't grabbing gears correctly and has a huge delay off the line, probably the most annoying is when you aren't driving the truck hard and it does not want to upshift...my tranny was giving me troubles shifting before I got the truck reflashed and the most recent versions of the Looneys...now its different types of issues...which makes me feel like my tranny problems are with the tuning and not mechanical. Are you guys having the same issues...if so, have you gotten them ironed out?

On a separate note - I installed DJ's Fuel + system over the 4th of July weekend...ended up stripping the passenger side housing on the fuel bowl...grrrr...:doh: but had the dealership overnight the new oil and fuel bowl housing. Anyone out there who is putting a kit on make sure not to over torque!! Other than that the only tough part of the install was removing the stock fuel line to the passenger side head.

I have an 06 and mine does/did the same thing, hunting for gears that is. After a hard run the trans would almost get stuck in neutral and would rev up if I tried to get back on the throttle. I went back to my "old" looney and everything is great again. *Almost* seems to have more pull too.

I haven't gotten with DJ/Vivian yet to see if this can be fixed, so I have no idea what to tell you other than to go back to your old looney...

Troy

I did try putting the "old" looney back in ... but that tune has its own separate problems for me...tranny flares before upshifting when driving easy esp if don't allow for a 10 minute warm up, if in stop or go traffic the shifting is just gross, snaps almost every time between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. When you put the foot down, the tranny will grab and shift very aggressive...but its hit or miss whether its snapping into the next gear or a smooth but solid shift. Its almost like the truck only likes to be run hard...and when you baby it and try to save gas it runs like crap.

Its almost like the truck only likes to be run hard...and when you baby it and try to save gas it runs like crap.

That might be where the trans learning comes into play...it is used to you beating it like a red-headed step child so it doesn't know what to do when you are taking it easy to save gas...

I have an 06 and mine does/did the same thing, hunting for gears that is. After a hard run the trans would almost get stuck in neutral and would rev up if I tried to get back on the throttle. I went back to my "old" looney and everything is great again. *Almost* seems to have more pull too.

I haven't gotten with DJ/Vivian yet to see if this can be fixed, so I have no idea what to tell you other than to go back to your old looney...

Troy

Ditto

Scared the crap out of me the first time it fell into neutral. I went back to the old looney and the problem went away.

Mine did the same thing for about the first 200 miles. Since then it has been shifting great and I would not trade it for anything. My transmission does that on every tune until it has a few miles on it. I can drive mine in slow traffic or get on it as hard as I want and it runs fine. When I drive half way normal I get around 17 to 17.5 mpg.

I believe you have answered your question with the thread title.
LOONEY WILD it is what it says. I think most of the looney files were intended for wide open. Although some do drive every day on them. My street tune isn't much slower then my looney at the track but you sure can tell there is not as much smoke also on the passes with the street tune. My street tune is very smooth in power and crisp with the shifts. The looney on the other hand is very sensitive when it comes to daily driving. Dj and Vivian may be able to make some changes to suite yall as well.

One more thing...when my steering wheel is turned all the way counter clockwise or cut completely for a left hand turn...my ABS light comes on...but it does not do the same thing for right hand/clockwise....anybody know what this is?

I'd bet you're pulling a connector loose for one of the wheel encoders. Check turn the wheel to the problem direction and shut it down and look at what you can see wire wise, something has to be pulling on it, or in the way.

I was paying attention to my Boost today...

barley was making over 20 lbs....on looney wild...is this low?

rob d, did you get a new tune since installing the fuel +system, how do you like it. I still have'nt got around to installing mine yet.

No - I have not gotten a new tune since installing the Fuel +

To be honest it is hard to tell a difference for me b/c my tranny is being such a POS. In other words its hard to notice more throttle response and less turbo lag when your tranny isn't hitting gears right - however when it does decide to act right it it does seem more torquey...once I get my transmission sorted out hopefully I can give you a better opinion.

I can't believe I am only making around 22 where Blue2Fifty is making 30-35...what is up with this....

Time to call DJ

For those having issues, what strategy is your 06 since there is about four different 06 strategies? Mine is VXCF1.

I think mine is VXCF1 also... It is the original strategy, but I am going to get it reflashed soon. Dj says it will make more power with a newer strategy... I am going through tranny troubles right now, I think my torque converter has bit the dust or possibly solenoid??? Also having a 2-3 shift flair...

Back