lost oil pressure?

rsharky

This weekend I was driving home and the gauge went to 0. There was nothing gradual about it. The gauge was reading normal pressure then nothing. After reading some of the other threads I've wached very close lately. There are know signs of fuel in the oil. Engine still sounds normal and I also removed the oil filter drained it then put it back on. Started engine for about 10sec then removed it again right after I turned the truck off. Alot of oil came came. I was also wondering if anyone knew where the sending unit was. I would like to check the pressure with a mechanical gauge.

I found a port by the oil filter and put a mechanical gauge on it. The truck does have oil pressure. But I still dont know where the sending unit is. Any help with the location would be a big plus(unlike my local dealership!).

The sending unit is located on the driver side of the block front bottom corner its angled up just above the oil pan

Thanks for the info. I think I may have a wireing problem or sender? After I found that it had pressure I started to drive the truck again. Later that day after looking at a gauge that read 0!(not happy!!). Started truck after work and everything was normal. Not sure what to do now?

It could be the steeper motor in the cluster also. GM extended the warranty, you might be able to get it fixed for free at the dealer.

I had the opposite problem. I was driving out to Sand Mountain in Nevada and my oil pressure gauge read over 120 PSI. I called the dealership and they said that they are fully aware of problems with the instrument cluster and that all I had to do was go down there so they could put the diagnostic tool on it an order me a new one. All under warrenty. It took a couple of days for them to get the clusters in because there were so many of them having problems but it took them less than an hour to install and I did it on my lunch hour

It is an 03. I went to the dealership to ask about the cluster problem( the tack also sticks. I've seen 4k+ at idle). It is only warrented 7yr or 70k. I have 90k. At this point I don't care what it says. Just go until she blows. I'll fix it then(at least thats the plan).

03's are most common for ip cluster issues. i would try to get it fixed even if you have to buy a salvage yard part. most likey your gonna have some more gauge issues if you don't. look on the bright side, you have oil pressure!!

Back