Making a Dana 70 Stronger.

I know I'm more then likely am going to get **** for asking of even tempted to do it but i gotta weigh my odds at this point. Well last night i broke the good ol Lock Right drop in locker on my way home hot rodding a bit, well a lot. So i want to upgrade to a 35 spline set up with a Detroit locker and get a pair of Chrome Moly axles to put in there too. What else could be done too? Other then everyone saying get a dana 80. I dont plan on even pulling the truck but pulling a car trailer and some drag strip use too. Should add the truck it is eventually going into will weigh close to 5500lbs. So any opinion or has any one done this?

I put a 70hd rear in my 92. It came from a 73 Dodge dually axles are thicker had 4" tubes instead of 3 1/2". Carrier is also a 2 piece bolt together I've been told it holds together better that way. Maybe you can find one of them in the junkyard and take some parts or the whole thing. Might also look for a 14 bolt they are tough to beat and can be bought for a few hundred bucks.

Ive looked for a dana 80 a lot but everyone around here wants damn near 1200-1500 for one. Im at a rock and a hard place now.

The locker might have some issues towing, and a E-locker and axles is going to be at the price you don't want to spend on the D-80, but the D-80 isn't going to bolt right in because you would want a D-80 with the discs over the drums.
Kinda your choice to make, Id do the selectable with the axles but the E,locker isn't avail for the 70 which leaves the ARB

Last edited:
Well as luck would have it, I was able to track a Dana 80 down for one hell of a deal. Thanks Jim for the lead!

Back