Making more power on 7x12 injectors

No_Chip_92

Hello all! Mods are in my signature. I've heard that the VE pump doesn't put out adequate pressure to properly atomize the fuel at higher rpms for 7x12s as is right now I'm at 20 degrees of timing, which puts me at 30 degrees for total advance. If I was to run an M&H timing spacer (which allows roughly 10 degrees more advance of dynamic timing) would this help burn the fuel longer and makeup for the poor atomization, thus making more power? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

I am by no means a VE expert but if you do not have the pressure to atomize the fuel, no amount of timing is going to fix that. In order to make power you want a atomized fast shot of fuel, not a dribble that is in there for way too long and way too early.

The pump has the power to atomize the fuel, just not as fine as at the lower rpms, which is why I thought perhaps more timing would help out. Just looking for others opinions (or those with experience) so I appreciate it!

Last edited:
I don't believe RPM would have too much of an effect on atomization even though as RPM increases, case pressure follows suit. The hydraulic head and the piston within is what builds the pressure to open the injectors. Atomization is pretty well controlled by the pop pressure of the injector itself. Increase the pop pressure if better atomization is what you're after.

Of course increased timing will yield more time for the fuel to burn but if atomization is poor, you may still be in the same position as you started.

Last edited:
I've heard that the VE pump doesn't put out adequate pressure to properly atomize the fuel at higher rpms for 7x12s

No, even a manual injector tester creates enough pressure to atomize the fuel at opening pressure ~ 3500psi.

Atomization is pretty well controlled by the pop pressure of the injector itself.

No, it isn't. Atomization/vaporization is dependent on orifice sizing, injection pressure, and seat/orifice quality.

Back