Manual Shifting, Lock Up, and OD Questions

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
I've been kicking around the idea of adding a gate/ratchet shifter to the truck for manual control of shifting my Goerend trans. Shifting with the column shifter is more fun then just placing it in drive but at the end of the day is the equivalent of trying to hit a BB with an antenna.

My questions are mainly about controlling OD and Lock Up. OD is fairly easy i'd imagine. I assume it would require re-rooting the wiring from the OD switch on the dash to a button mounted on the shifter. Any specifics/suggestions are appreciated.

Lock up i'm a bit more in the dark on. I currently have a lock up switch on my dash but it only locks the trans when I command it. It does not keep the trans from locking up automatically in OD or in 3rd with OD turned off. Is there a three position button switch of some sort that could easily be added to a shifter? Any input on wiring?

What would be the cat's arse is being able to control all of these things from the ball of the gate/ratchet shifter if possible.

Ideas/input is appreciated. I've done some searching but not found answers to ALL of my questions. Thanks:Cheer:

Most likely your trans is set up to start locking in at 2nd gear like most Dave builds. I always lock my convertor up before I start building boost and when it hits 2nd gear it locks in and goes and stays locked when it hits 3rd. At the end of my pull if the sled drags my power way down I just unlock the convertor and keep ripping until they flag me.

Most likely your trans is set up to start locking in at 2nd gear like most Dave builds. I always lock my convertor up before I start building boost and when it hits 2nd gear it locks in and goes and stays locked when it hits 3rd. At the end of my pull if the sled drags my power way down I just unlock the convertor and keep ripping until they flag me.

Yes, that is correct about 2nd gear lock up.

I'm interested in having full control of the trans without having the PCM decide what's right and what's not. The truck really needs rpm to work in the range of larger than stock equipment in my opinion (even with a smaller 62mm charger). I don't like how it locks up in 3rd with OD off, unlocks when I turn OD on to make the shift into OD, then locks again. I'd like to have control of OD and lock up completely to get rid of this goofey phenom.

Should've specified my truck is a 97 with a 47re.

My 47re does that lock unlock going into od as well. I don't even notice it coming unlocked. Does it really have time to unlock and lock that quick?

I got a brand new shifter I will give you a deal on ;)
Brandon

My 47re does that lock unlock going into od as well. I don't even notice it coming unlocked. Does it really have time to unlock and lock that quick?

On my truck it's very noticeable and not fast. It's always been like that since the Goerend trans has been in. I've had a POT instead of a TPS for about 3 years so I don't know if that has any effect on it or not.

Nick,

I,d mount the switches to the shifter. Here is a pick of a design I liked for mounting switches. When I mount my switches I'll probably do something similar to this. I have also seen people have the switches on the steering column. It just depends what you think is comfortable to you.

Google Image Result for http://www.learntodragrace.com/images/shifter.jpg

Thank you sir that's some good ideas as far as mounting location there!

Now, just need to think on the wiring

Nick ya need a single pole double throw toggle switch. Provides the ability to have no lockup,forced lockup, and pcm controlled lockup. Works well.

Nick ya need a single pole double throw toggle switch. Provides the ability to have no lockup,forced lockup, and pcm controlled lockup. Works well.

Thanks Mitch does the wiring remain the same for the lock up switch?

Back