manual trans remote start?

Dan D

I have an '02 F-350 with a manual trans and want to put a remote start in it. I am wondering if anyone knows how to bypass the clutch safety switch. Also, a couple years ago I heard of a couple trucks catching fire because of the remote starts, just wanting to know if there is any truth to those stories, don't really need my truck to catch fire. Thanks in advance.

i would be more worried about the truck driving itself away if it got left in gear than catching on fire. should be able to just jump across the clutch switch for the remote start

just buy a quality alarm system w/ remote start... they have safe-guards for manual tranny trucks... you'll never have one start in gear

Compustar Pro is the best I've ever installed. (expensive though) If you get the Canadian version the range is over a mile. (yes I tried) Not that you need to start it or unlock your doors a mile away, but unlike most brands this one will work from the back of a restaurant. Ultra Start also makes a manual version. That's what I had before I got this one. I think there are only like 3 or 4 brands that have manual versions, I installed these for years but only did a handful of manuals. And Forrest is right you'll never get a manual version to start in gear unless you intentionally bypass every safety feature.

I have an astro start in my 5 speed. I didn't install it, I wouldn't have saved much money doing it myself and it has warranty since they did. The way my safety switch works is as soon as you push down the E-brake it starts a sequence, you now pull out the key and the truck stays running until you exit the vehicle and shut the door, then it turns off. After the e-brake is hit and you open the door you have thirty seconds to shut it or it disarms also hitting the brake pedal anytime in the sequence will also disarm it. So the only way to get it to start in gear would be to reach through an open window and put in.

I have an astro start in my 5 speed. I didn't install it, I wouldn't have saved much money doing it myself and it has warranty since they did. The way my safety switch works is as soon as you push down the E-brake it starts a sequence, you now pull out the key and the truck stays running until you exit the vehicle and shut the door, then it turns off. After the e-brake is hit and you open the door you have thirty seconds to shut it or it disarms also hitting the brake pedal anytime in the sequence will also disarm it. So the only way to get it to start in gear would be to reach through an open window and put in.

which is why it should be tied to an alarm IMO... on my truck, there was no way to get it in gear without tripping the alarm, which cancelled the remote start ability

It has been years, but the manual systems I have seen, basically had door swtiches and forced you to shut the truck off with the doors closed. It then monitored the doors and assumed that if no door was opened the truck was still in neutral. Personally I would put a switch on the gear shifter or something.

I installed this remote start on 3 vehicles. The first was a manual. I didn't install the door switches. Two times I started it in gear. Once it jumped the curb and started climbing the hill. The second time it gave the car in front a a few luv bumps. Luckily both times I was looking at the vehicle and was able to hit the fob again to cancel the starting.

I installed this remote start on 3 vehicles. The first was a manual. I didn't install the door switches. Two times I started it in gear. Once it jumped the curb and started climbing the hill. The second time it gave the car in front a a few luv bumps. Luckily both times I was looking at the vehicle and was able to hit the fob again to cancel the starting.
I tried it on mine while sitting in the seat. My parking brake has more power than my starter (in 1st gear anyway) I put one on a Civic also and it was the same, parking brake was stronger than the starter. I don't remember how the Fords are wired but the 3rd gen Dodges are a pain because each door pin is wired separately so you have to do a lot of extra wiring for the remote starter to see all the doors. All the Ford's I did were auto's so this wasn't needed.

If you choose to do this let me know and I'll give you the wiring diagram for your truck.

I just got a quote from a buddy at work, his brother has a shop that installs them, and I don't have that much money right now. I can deal with running out to start my truck in my boxers and boots in 0* weather.

Back