Marine 5 x.012" vco 155° setup

rebar

Iv been running marine 5 x.012" vco 155°. I was told the spray angle not being the stock 145, could have been the factor which blew up my engine. But after tear down, it was a head gasket and crank main bearing failure. The rings/pistons were ok with some fine lines (wouldn't call it scoring) on the cylinders which came out mostly with a hone.

So my question is if I should be concerned with these marine injectors and engine longevity even though its not apparent they were in anyway responsible for my engine failure. And if there were any setup procedures which correct the spray angle or make the incorrect spray angle more acceptable?

Thanks

We run those in my boss's 92'. The truck is worked pretty hard, and we've had no issues, other than they are hazy.

155* is the correct spray angle if you are running 1990 pistons.

Interesting.. Thanks.

Im unsure which pistons are in there as I'm slowly learning my motor #1 is sleeved and is a hodgepodge of different year parts.. Makes me wonder weather I'm setting myself up for another failure.

Pistons are 102018's, and say standard 7163 on top.

Does quickserve have piston ref numbers?

Pistons are 102018's, and say standard 7163 on top.

Does quickserve have piston ref numbers?

That's a 3802160 assembly. I have a new one in my hands. It's the same as a 286210 Mahle, it's correct for a 1990 Dodge and a 155* nozzle.

If it's good at std bore I would either put 286210's (17.5:1) or the 18.5:1 Clevite variant in. Both will be happy with a 155* nozzle.

Last edited:
That's a 3802160 assembly. I have a new one in my hands. It's the same as a 286210 Mahle, it's correct for a 1990 Dodge and a 155* nozzle.

If it's good at std bore I would either put 286210's (17.5:1) or the 18.5:1 Clevite variant in. Both will be happy with a 155* nozzle.

Saweet. Thanks.

Machinist says old pistons are still good, so I'm all set with only new rings and bearings.

Aren't the '90s (+/-) pistons "desirable" referring to the large/wide bowl?

Diesel Injector Nozzles and Parts Reconditioned and Remanufactured by DNR, California, check our capabilities

send those nozzles along with the needles to the guys at the above link. they can flow (extrude)hone your nozzles for up to a 30% increase of flow. and also redo the needle and seat. in stock form those 5x12's are a very slight increase in size over the stock non ic nozzles.

Lee a contagious diesel all ready tested mine. He said the opening pressures were a bit low so he bumped them up to 250bar and cleaned them up with new sealing washers. Good to go

Back