Max air flow

Beasty

I've been reading this section of comp d a lot lately trying to learn more about compound sizing and such as I am about to complete what has ended up a 3 year build on a truck. I do have a question though as I see the primaries everyday almost getting larger and larger in terms of lb/min flow. My question is how much flow will a 5.9 with a modified head eat? I would assume at some point even though you can get a primary that will flow x the motor no mater what will only flow N. I have a few options on turbo selection I've been told by some that my bore and head dimensions will never flow what the turbo can flow. Just trying to find that point at which the 5.9 is maxed. Thanks

lots of varaibles to consider. rpm capabilities, target boost levels, what types of intercooling and so on.

Even a bone stock head is capable of some serious power with some well sized compound turbo's.
If I ran my primary stage as a single stage I couldn't even spool it to save my life and honestly that's the way it should be in a competition setup.
The magic happens when the secondary stage makes my 5.9 litres look like 14+ litres to the primary stage.
Ultimately we are limited on bore size/valve size and RPM. From then on its up to the density machines.

On rpms say 5200 motor is built to turn more but that's where I'd like to keep it. Intercooling is single stage it will be a basic air to air mishimoto intercooler. And boost what it ends up to get max lb/flow

Todd I know there are lots of variables to the equation. But even that being said assuming all the supporting mods are there isn't there a certain point where the motor will not flow any more no mater if you have a setup that could produce more

I had a well known turbo builder tell me years ago he could do 200psi on 2 stages. Now throw 200psi at your swept volume and theoretical VE = a shatload of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well they get 10,000hp out of a 8.2 liter motor. So I would assume a chitload.

Well I've learned a lot in the simple understanding of turbos but still have much to learn I'll keep reading I just want to make everything work together and minimize waist

Back