Max Egt Temp

steph38

frenchy rookie
I want to know the maximum temperature i can go safely the sensor is post turbo on the downpipe. thanks for your help

I've ran thermocouples both pre and post turbo on my truck.

I'd highly suggest moving that thermocouple pre turbo.

Post turbo temps can vary from 50-450* cooler of pre turbo temps from what I've seen on my truck. Also pre-turbo temps react much quicker...when I had my thermocouple post turbo (with stock programming) it would hardly ever move...definately not like it does pre-turbo.

Pre-turbo I wouldn't run above 1300* for extended peroids of time......post turbo depends on the load on the motor....difficult to set an acutal "max temp".

thanks, so i'd better move it to the manifold on the driver side ?

Pre turbo seems to make the most sense to me. Once you notice a high post turbo temp, the damage has already been done.

ok so driver side or does it not matter which side?
and can i drill it with the manifold still on?

Doesn't matter which side since of the manifold. Driver's side is easier to get to and drill. On the passenger side the downpipe and the starter make it difficult to get a drill in there.

You can drill it with the manifold still on. You'll lay under the truck and drill up. The majority of the shavings will fall on you (very important to wear proper eye protection) while you drill and tap. Than you can run a small magnet around the hole to get out any shavings that made their way in.

Be sure to be cool with the tap as you are tapping the hole. If you force it forward to cut the threads it's possible to have the shavings get the tap stuck in there. It's best run the tap in a small amount and then back it out, clean off the shavings,etc.. Then continue going.

Hope this helps.

where in the manifold is suggested? i am about to purchase a set of headers fro d.i. and am curious to where to put mine.

Mine are towards the end of the manifold where it bolts up to the up-pipe.

1/8" NPT or 1/4" NPT....depends on the brand, model, etc..

If you all can wait a few days, I should have some pics up.

My max EGT will be the one that holes a piston.
It's seen north of 1800 quite a few times...and ran almost 5 miles over 1600 racing a Mustang....so far so good....knocks on wood

Back