Mercedes W124 300D Turbo: engine noise right or wrong?

OldBeaver

Hello all, hope you are doing well and enjoying your imported diesels.

Well, I have a 1993 Mercedes 300D 6 cil Turbo diesel, in a version made for Japan or such (I cannot read the maintenance label on it). But I compared tech specs of this car, injection pump model, etc. and it match japanese version. Very similar to american version, but the number of cylinders.

My concern, before making my machine roar, is to be sure that everything is ok. I have been repairing a lot of issues, and I hope to make some interesting mods soon.

Does anyone in the forum have experience with this engine?

Well, my engine is smoking very little, only when pushed hard, and it has a good fuel economy: my best tank was 31.11 mpg while my worst tank was 22.95 mpg. Mean of last three tanks were 28.1 mpg, not pushing it much.

This to tell the car is running reasonable well. It has 265.000 km, about 165.000 miles.

However, it has too much clakity noise in the engine, specially sometimes, maybe more when it is running al low rpm.

Any suggestions on how to make this engine as smooth as possible?

Something to check? I here the noise on the passenger side window, however, it may be due to it rebounds on the wall that is that side.

Any advice on this matter would be very welcome. At the same time, I would be glad to get in contact with people with the same car.

Talking about performance, I am very interested in learning about a smartphone app that can be used to test acceleration and performance.

Thank you in advance,

Oldbeaver

I'd start with the basics. Check cam timing, check pump timing etc.. 165xxx is not much for this engine. my 605 had 650xxx km on it when i tore it down and i only needed to re-ring it and sleeve one cylinder. Mains and rods still looked almost new.

Last edited:
Back