MWE Ring

Yellow Jacket

Does a Map Width Enhancement ring hurt the overall power capabilities of a compressor wheel??? I know that it helps the low and mid range of the map and lowers the choke point of the compressor wheel, but I think I remember reading somewhere that it reduces the peak hp capability of a compressor...

Has anyone see two comp. maps of the same wheel with and without a MWE ring in the cover. I know the Super Farm tractors make a big deal about the ring, 3x3 chargers can have the MWE ring and 3x3.? chargers cannot have the ring.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the non ported covers have a higher peak efficiancy but not as wide of a map.

havent seen a map comparison between the two but I know on a super farm a slotted cover will make in excess of 100hp over a smooth bore cover.

In my conversations with turbo designers, the map width enhancement groove hurts peak compressor flow because it bleeds off some of the air trapped under the leading edges of the inducer blades.

I believe that the cheater turbos with a 95mm inducer stuffed behind a 3.0 cover gain compressor flow from the MWE groove because in that situation, the groove is no longer bleeding off air but rather sucking in air. When you stuff a large compressor behind a "restrictor plate" 3.0 cover, you create a large enough vacuum effect that the MWE no longer bleeds but actually becomes a "cheater" source of inlet air.

havent seen a map comparison between the two but I know on a super farm a slotted cover will make in excess of 100hp over a smooth bore cover.

This I do not agree with because I know someone who pulls superfarm and the turbo to beat is a HX60 with no MWE ring from what he and everyone else says....If they have a 3x3 charger it can have the MWE ring, but a lot of guys forfit the MWE ring to go to the 3x3.4 charger. And with the larger exhaust wheel more power should be feasible, but no MWE makes it harder to light and not lug as well and the spooling and lugging of the 3x3 MWE charger makes it compete against the larger exhaust wheel non MWE chargers. That is my 2 cents on it, but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

In my conversations with turbo designers, the map width enhancement groove hurts peak compressor flow because it bleeds off some of the air trapped under the leading edges of the inducer blades.

I believe that the cheater turbos with a 95mm inducer stuffed behind a 3.0 cover gain compressor flow from the MWE groove because in that situation, the groove is no longer bleeding off air but rather sucking in air. When you stuff a large compressor behind a "restrictor plate" 3.0 cover, you create a large enough vacuum effect that the MWE no longer bleeds but actually becomes a "cheater" source of inlet air.

This is what I am trying to figure out...If with a stepped wheel the MWE ring is needed to get the benefit from the stepped wheel. Does anyone else care to elaborate or state an opinion?

Back