my first 12valve

not enoughsmoke

floatin in tha gulf
ok so i bought me a 96 3500 super long dog 4x4 with 5speed i made a trip to knoxville this weekend and before when i bought it it had a cracked 5th gear housin i got a new housin when i bought the truck from the owner so removed the old one and installed the new one so on my way to konxville i start smellin gear oil so i pull off and check it and the trans is leak out the shifter casin so no biggie i will just keep check on it well on the way home i check the trans and the rearend is soaked and mudflaps are drippin oil trans is good but t-case is low so i filled it the continue to drive it home then later find out i started gettin a bad vibration form 50-60mph so it finally gets worse so i am thinkin carrier bearing or u joint so i swaped trucks and continued home with the pull truck i went to haul scrap today and started by checkin fluids and found the t-case is cracked and ideas?

ran it low on oil and possibly overheated it. probably wiped out the bushing the driveshaft runs in too dues to lack of oil which would cause a vibration and make the rear seal leak as well. if it got bad enough i bet it could have caused the crack.

Can't offer any help. I have an aux tranny but no transfer case. Been through a couple of aux units though.

What broke the original rear housing? Did you put a NV one on or one of them chinese cast iron ones? Maybe it is out of alingment. Maybe it is from previous damage? Pics would help.

ok so found the front driveshaft was to long and cause the carnage here is pics
IMG_20100916_001950.jpg

IMG_20100916_001959.jpg

IMG_20100916_002008.jpg

IMG_20100916_002014.jpg

First, punctuation is your friend. Just adds to the confusion.

How did the front drive shaft cause a break in the rear housing?

Obviously something is wobbling where it shouldn't be to crack the output housing. U jounts good? rear shaft wobble could crack that. Mine did the same in the front. Split the whole case.
Bearings in transfer I suppose could do the same if they're loose.

The front shaft was to long pushin the tranfercase sideways when the suspension would travel. Everything was tight but i had to disassemble the front shaft u-joint just to get it out

Back