Name that sound.

rick stark

Diesel Dummy
YouTube

Free rev to ~4200+ and let out and makes an abnormal whining sound. Won't do it at any less rpm. All clamps tight and no leaks except for a minor exhaust leak on the hot pipe clamp on the 64. Wheel is tight on the gt42 and havnt checked the 64 because the cold pipe is a pita to put on. What could it be?

What I would check is to see if some portion of any piping is touch the frame. Or the bottom turbo exhaust piping touching the body.

One of the worst sounds I've heard when assembling twins is the compressor housing slightly touching the frame or piping touching the shock tower. Makes a horrible sound.

Link works on a iPhone for reference.

Last edited:
Did you loosen the center sections to reclock the turbos? Make sure there tight. Check all clamps and bolts.

What I would check is to see if some portion of any piping is touch the frame. Or the bottom turbo exhaust piping touching the body.

One of the worst sounds I've heard when assembling twins is the compressor housing slightly touching the frame or piping touching the shock tower. Makes a horrible sound.

Link works on a iPhone for reference.

Downpipe might be hitting the cab ever so slightly but is heat wrapped. I might take it off and try again and check and see if the compressor is hitting the frame. It was very close when I put it on.

Did you loosen the center sections to reclock the turbos? Make sure there tight. Check all clamps and bolts.

Double checked all clamps, all are tight.

Yes if it is hitting that pinch weld by the down pipe it will make that sound.

And like mentioned above if any of the housing are in a bind it will make that sound too.

If you have a 5" pipe there you can pull the pipe back off and scallop that area. This way you don't have to beat the pinch weld up to clearance it.

Downpipe was touching the firewall, and that's fixed...noise is still there. Pull off the cold pipe and find oil in the outlet of the gt. Shaft has no play and spins very freely. Personally, I think its from the drain tube not being able to get rid of the oil fast enough. It goes almost straight down ~4 inches then 90s over to the stock drain location.

With the cold pipe off I tried it again and no noise. I am so lost and aggravated I can't see straight.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381772686700.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381772686700.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T5NxYRWCXo"]Turbo whine 2 - exhaust side - YouTube[/ame]

The sound is definitely coming from the exhaust side. This may be a better video for those who can see it.

Brand new turbos?

The gt42 is but the 64 isn't.

I figured out it was the downpipe making the noise...somehow. I took it off and tested, sounded just fine. So I don't think there's really anything to worry about.

Not yet. Need to put transmission in, get the driveshaft fixed, and a couple little things. It's going to be a little bit before it rolls under its own power.

when i had twins on my truck it did the same thing but once it was under boost you couldn't hear it any more. The only i could think of was the transitions i had in my exhaust.

Back