near fire on fummins tonight, have questions?

fummins97

97 ford with 12v cummins, started truck and loud sound started, something motor because it got faster and slower with rpm. Drove truck 4 minutes home, backed in garage, lights dimmed, radio went out, both came back to normal. Truck wouldn't shut off, went to manually close solenoid and it was red hot, pulled truck out of garage, opened hood and solenoid wires were smoking. Whole top of shut off solenoid melted. Weird part is even with key out, truck still had power, and the battery light was on. Any ideas?
after some reading, thinking maybe started stuck and sent power back to shutoff solenoid, over heated it and melted it down?

Bad starter back feed the relay or relays for the FSR. Replace the starter with a new starter then add HD contacts and a diode in the system. And most likely the fuel shut down relay and the fuel hold relay are shot too along with the FSR. So replace all that too.

the starter is only a few months old, this is one reason I hate all these remanufactured parts from oreilly's and autozone. Could cold have anything to do with the problem, the truck sat outside for 10 hours in 4'F weather? Also I don't have a relay on the fuel shutoff, its wired from the former 460 distributor hot, and a body ground.

You may need a relay for the solenoid, what amp fuse is in the circuit for the 460 distributor someone may have used a larger fuse so it wouldnt blow now your overloading the circuit and possibly shorted something like the ignition switch, or maybe solenoid shorted. Just some thoughts tough to diagnose something without it in front of you. Make sure everything is fused.

Bet your fusible link is burnt as well.

"Fuel solenoid failure on Dodge 12 valve trucks almost always begins with worn starter contacts. When a starter sticks on it is usually caused by the worn contacts arcing and becoming jammed or welded together. When this happens the starter continues to run and back-feeds 12v up to the 70amp fuel solenoid relay. The relay then thinks it getting the power from the ignition switch so closes the relay and energizes the fuel solenoid via the "pull" coil. This is why the engine may not shut off by the key. This "pull" coil is very strong but low resistance so will overheat very quickly if allowed to stay energized. This is what causes the fuel solenoids to overheat and burn up." -Larry B

Yeah Nor'easter, I read that off their site. So here's what I have so far, didn't know there was a fusable link in there and I didn't have a relay on it. This is where my electrical inexperience shows through. Ordered the one way diode, link, wiring with relay and new super solenoid from Larry B's. Going to get that in and checked from a friend that's an electrical wizard so I don't screw it up again. Checked all connections from starter back to computer and didn't see anything burnt.

If you start it up, shut the key off, and it keeps running, unplug the solenoid immediately. That will keep it from burning up.

I had one go up in smoke once, you wanna talk about nerve racking, trying to unbolt the 10mm bolts holding this red hot piece of steel to a truck while it's smoking...

Back