Need a little help and lots of advice!!!

02fuelhog

My dad has a 03 f-250 4x4 auto with 3.73 gears ext cab short bed. With a superchips, AEM dryflow intake and 4" exhaust leveled up with 35's.
My uncle has the exact same truck except his a cewcab. The only mods he has is the superchips and exhaust.
Now dad's truck gets 16-16.5 mpg and my uncle with the heaveier and longer truck gets 19-20 mpg.
The truck's build dates are 1 month diff.
What could ,would cause the mpg's to be that much diff. The superchips are the same model # and all.
This mpg was figured on paper and is around town driving.
I don't know much about Ford's so any help is appreciated. Would the high pres oil pump, injectors or anything like that have any effect on it?

Thanks in advance, Stephen

Mileage has alot to do with MPG too. My 2002 Ex SB got 16 MPG anywhere. It had 50k miles. My 2003 with 130k miles CCSB gets 19 ish on the hwy.

Honestly that seems kinda high on your Uncles truck. The tanks are like 28 gallons i believe. (Someone correct me if im wrong). That would mean hes getting between 500 and 560 miles per tank. If its 28 gallons. Thats way high for a 7.3l, Im getting roughly 430 per tank with my truck, 33s, and a leveling kit, custom tuned, and stage 2 injectors, tranny and turbo. Thats pretty good as far as 7.3ls go.

I thought it was kinda high to. I know dad's truck has 150ish on it and think my uncle's is around 180k. I have no clue what could be the diff btu would putting a set of 40-70 hp inj in dad's truck help mpg's?
If so or not what would help,tunners, injectors, wicked wheel in turbo or anything like that?

Thanks

With a Ford , build dates are a critical factor the engine calibrations can change from one day to the next an not be announced to anyone. I used to be a PSD tech for the blue oval and we didn't even know this information. You can take two identical trucks of the same year model and almost half the items on one truck won't fit the other. Driving style will also have a major impact on fuel milage. One person may baby one truck while the other may not. On the highway my truck will lose almost 4mpg if i drive 70 versus 65.

I get 18-20 mpg outta my truck and have even gotten better when doin all highway driving.

I think the biggest diff that your Dad and Uncle are having is you have two different people driving two different trucks.
Have them swicth trucks for a couple weeks and see what happens.

Thanks guys for that info and i will get them to swap trucks.
I guess what yall are saying is some trucks do well and some don't?
Again Thanks

I just talked to him and he said thanks for the help he also said his truck does smoke a lot more than my uncles with the superchips on the same level. My uncle can lay his on the floor and he gets a slight haze, my dads on the otherhand smokes pretty bad/good and is all black smoke, no white or blue. I'm not tring to be anoying just tring to help my dad.

Thanks

No Problem.. And dont worry we'll let you know you when become annoying..:poke:

With a Ford , build dates are a critical factor the engine calibrations can change from one day to the next an not be announced to anyone. I used to be a PSD tech for the blue oval and we didn't even know this information. You can take two identical trucks of the same year model and almost half the items on one truck won't fit the other. Driving style will also have a major impact on fuel milage. One person may baby one truck while the other may not. On the highway my truck will lose almost 4mpg if i drive 70 versus 65.

Very true, there are dozens of different catch codes out there. Some good and some not as good, big reason why those trucks seem kinda "hit or miss".

Back