Need a little help on 00 ram 1500 12v swap

CTDYoungGun

Seth- Fuel Injection Guy
Hey guys, I'm in need of some help on a conversion I'm trying to finish up. If anyone has been through this or has any ideas throw them out, let me have it- I'm at wits end.

The truck is a 2000 ram 1500 sport and had the 5.9 gasser. It now has a 98 12v in it and running great. The issue is I'm getting the no bus code in the odometer and my edge cts2 (for gauges and datalogging) won't read anything from under the hood- engine or accesories.

I'm using the 98 12v engine/ trans harness. Trans has a full manual valvebody and I've got od/ lu sorted out. I'm using the 00 ram 1500 fuse box and under hood harness ( I repinned the engine inline connector in the fuse box to send and receive what the diesel engine needs. Also using the 98 12v pcm.

Just for s&g today I threw the gasser pcm back on the truck and now the edge will read everything on the engine (less engine rpm and mph) and the gauges also read everything but engine rpm and mph. The no bus code also went away. I checked every wire and pin for the gasser and diesel pcm connections and they are identical on everything but intake heaters, so I can't see how I could have screwed up the wiring side of things.

The issue is, the gasser pcm doesn't have the feature to kick intake grid heaters on and I have no idea how to get my tach and speedo back.

Sorry for the novel, I just figured more info helps clarify where I'm at. Mark is going to send me a 98 12v cluster to try and see if that cures issues with either pcm.

Seth, when I put my '95 12V in the '98 24V truck, I used all the wiring, modules, and sensors from the '98. I'm basically making the '98 truck's ECM and PCM think that the engine is a 24V. The '98 24V uses the crank sensor and crank mounted tone wheel for tach signal where a '00 uses the cam sensor. My guess is you'll need to change the cam, or cam gear at least, from a 24V engine that uses the cam sensor and install a cam sensor where the timing pin is on the 12V. There are kits out there for the sensor. You'll probably need to run all this through the '00 ECM and PCM but I don't know that for a fact.

As to the heater grids, probably just need to put them on a momentary toggle switch to activate the relays long enough for startup.

Last edited:
Seth, when I put my '95 12V in the '98 24V truck, I used all the wiring, modules, and sensors from the '98. I'm basically making the '98 truck's ECM and PCM think that the engine is a 24V. The '98 24V uses the crank sensor and crank mounted tone wheel for tach signal where a '00 uses the cam sensor. My guess is you'll need to change the cam, or cam gear at least, from a 24V engine that uses the cam sensor and install a cam sensor where the timing pin is on the 12V. There are kits out there for the sensor. You'll probably need to run all this through the '00 ECM and PCM but I don't know that for a fact.

As to the heater grids, probably just need to put them on a momentary toggle switch to activate the relays long enough for startup.

Thank you for the insight!

Luckily, the cluster swap did the trick and cured the no bus fault and all my gauges are working correctly.

For anyone viewing in the future, the combo that worked for me was 2000 gas fuse box/ underhood harness (engine inline connector has to be repinned in the fuse box for intake heaters and start circuit to work correctly) and the 1998 diesel pcm/ cluster/ engine harness.

Back