Need help fast! Glow plug tip broke!

I had to pull the heads for head gaskets anyway, and I didn't have much in the way of equipment at the time so I figured let a machine shop do it since that's part of what they do. Long story short every machine shop that touched it made it worse and now they both have broken off easyouts in them, one got drilled off center and into the threads in the head, there's MIG weld spatter in the valvesprings, etc etc. None of the shops charged me anything but I figured by the time I fixed all the free work a used head was cheaper.

I had to pull the heads for head gaskets anyway, and I didn't have much in the way of equipment at the time so I figured let a machine shop do it since that's part of what they do. Long story short every machine shop that touched it made it worse and now they both have broken off easyouts in them, one got drilled off center and into the threads in the head, there's MIG weld spatter in the valvesprings, etc etc. None of the shops charged me anything but I figured by the time I fixed all the free work a used head was cheaper.

Holy ****. Really to drill one of those, you need to have a bridge port and use a good hole to get the angle set. But knock on wood i get 99% of em out with a welder, with no mess or damage to the head. As for the easy out, there is just no excuse for a machine shop of any kind breaking off an easy in something like that.

Waiting to get the heads back now. This is an ugly sight.

una7a4ar.jpg

Luckily once the head was off I tapped it with a small hammer and it came right out. If not I still have the Bridgeport!

Last edited:
Where do these two go, they plug into each other but at a funky angle and are on the same harness. Doesn't make sense.

aquguqa9.jpg

Holy ****. Really to drill one of those, you need to have a bridge port and use a good hole to get the angle set. But knock on wood i get 99% of em out with a welder, with no mess or damage to the head. As for the easy out, there is just no excuse for a machine shop of any kind breaking off an easy in something like that.

That was my thought too, but I didn't have a TIG or Bridgeport handy. Everytime I picked it up from another shop my jaw dropped a little further.

Anyway, to the OP glad you got yours out. As for the two plugs I can't remember right now what they plug into but I do remember they don't plug into each other.

Yessir, the cam sensor was near impossible, my father put the harness in while I was at my day job and connected two under the intake elbow leaving the two mystery plugs. I couldn't see those ones but after searching found them unplugged and tried the others and they fit well and threw no codes! Pumped! 100 hours of work total on this thing. All the front end, the EGR delete and turbo build. Put it back together and had the stuck glow plug, then pulled the one head, saw the gasket condition and did the other. The crossover pipe cracked so that had to get welded and it's just been a nightmare. You dmax guys are nuts. Same for the ford guys, I'll stick with the inline!

Thanks guys!

If you think it was a pain doing that to a DMAX try a ford 6.0. ive done both the dmax has way more room to work on the engine. Ill do a cummins some day im sure but real soon. Glad to hear your back up and running.

Back