Need help with a 12v build I am new to this

05maxlly

I acquired a 1996 2500 rclb 4x4 cummins AT for $1700 with 123000 miles on it. I would like to make this a sled pull street truck -- I own a duramax and am spoiled with computer tuning so I am clueless on what it will take to build this. I have been reading on here for a few days and dont quite get what I need to know. I am going to call Hamilton and get a cam and some 120lb springs as the front cover has to come off this truck to fix a nasty oil leak so hey while I am there I figured get the biggest cam I can without cutting pistons I am thinking full fuel to 4000rpm so a 4300 spring?? I dont know what turbo to run a large single that I can pick up at a scrap yard or do twins. Can I add a big truck turbo as the large and still use the stock to blow through?? What size injectors?? I dont want to get tooo large I am going to get a lift pump as I dont think the stock will handle the fuel needs. Any help would be great and any good used parts would be awesome as well. I am not looking to break the bank on this build maybe $8000 including a trans on the build not including the price of the truck. Thanks

I would suggest you keep reading to learn the answer to all those questions you just asked. They have all been covered numerous times on 10 diesel forums.

IMHO.

I'd do...

Stock turbo over HT3B
5x18 injectors
024 dv's or laser cuts
21+ deg timing
AirDog/FASS lift pump
5K gsk
Trans with Goerend valvebody, billet input, triple disc converter
billet flexplate
I'm sure I missed a few, but that should be a good 600rwhp play toy.

kdp fixed
cam drilled and retainer installed
valve springs, locks , retainer
i would do head studs , i know a lot of people wait but i just do it so its done ,

Stock cam will support this horse power?? or is it worth getting a larger one??

The big question, is what pulling class do you want to join?

I'd do...

Stock turbo over HT3B
5x18 injectors
024 dv's or laser cuts
21+ deg timing
AirDog/FASS lift pump
5K gsk
Trans with Goerend valvebody, billet input, triple disc converter
billet flexplate
I'm sure I missed a few, but that should be a good 600rwhp play toy.

I remember back in 2008 when the 35/3B combo max was 5x14's

I was just going to pull for fun I havent checked the rules around here I hear they change the more west I go

got motor pulled yesterday found the kdp already fell and cracked the case, but no other carnage guy I got the truck from was adding a gallon of oil a week

Honestly, there are countless combinations that will make good power. What I would do in your situation is figure out the local pulling rules and build your truck around them. If you dedicate a few hours for a few days to reading back a ways in the dodge forum on here, you can learn so much. It'll take a long time, but you'll learn A LOT.

I am getting another one tomorrow I an going to make this more of a play truck and run more stock truck classes and maybe hang some weight and see what happens

Back