Need help with wiring Alternator in Fummins

jshalala

Hey all,

I have a 99 F250 (mods in sig) with a 12v.
It is currently running the Dodge alternator but I believe the voltage regulator took a crap on me last night.
Punched it and all the lights surged, for the rest of the night interior and exterior lights were brighter than normal, windows stopped working briefly and several interior lights clicked on and off. I thought I could smell something getting hot so I parked it asap.

I want to run the 7.3 alternator in the truck. I know I can get a bracket to make it work along with using the 7.3 wiring harness.
Does anyone have any pictures of the 7.3 alt installed on a 12v? I want to see how the wiring harness is wired in as I think I have to splice it into the current mess of wires currently there.
I have no idea how it is currently wired, the current job is a hack job at best.

This is the current hack job

de8560828edcd1e738d1d6f27066542b.jpg

5f039f2716ee513b2a2bba0b2f12a5d4.jpg

Speaker wire... LOL

I believe the PCM is the voltage regulator on the later 12 valves. Your other option is to run the alternator first gens run with the external regulator.

Right. I want to do away with it all together and run the 7.3 alt so I don't need a voltage regulator

lol guys, this is why I am asking about running a 7.3 alt and harness. I want to do away with all the crap that you see.
I know guys have done this, I just need to find them.

Ditch the speaker wire, make sure that black box on the charge cable has the small tabs cut off and not touching anything. Then follow normal old ford voltage regulator wiring. If the builder was dumb enough to Coble that together, I doubt your oem 7.3 harness is useable

I stuck with the 7.3 alt, more work to make mounts but I'm not into wiring if I don't have to. It's nice to just plug the harness right in and know it'll all work.

Btw I run the Fummins page on ig...

Found my issue. Apparently this is a voltage regulator that is made specifically to bypass the PCM.
I found the exact same one on ebay for 20 bucks so I just ordered it, should be here by Saturday.
That will give me time to get the 7.3 alternator working.
And yes, the speaker wire is going in the trash.

765284245f6be97fae47f924f13456e4.jpg

I stuck with the 7.3 alt, more work to make mounts but I'm not into wiring if I don't have to. It's nice to just plug the harness right in and know it'll all work.

Btw I run the Fummins page on ig...
Right. I can order a custom bracket that will work on the 12 valve from Auto Works out in Montana.

Nice work on the IG page! Thanks for sharing my truck. I run the clean diesel power page on IG (along with this Ford Diesel Girl character)

Ditch the speaker wire, make sure that black box on the charge cable has the small tabs cut off and not touching anything. Then follow normal old ford voltage regulator wiring. If the builder was dumb enough to Coble that together, I doubt your oem 7.3 harness is useable

Good idea, thanks again for your help.
And yes, I don't think the harness is usable either.

Back