Need info on best turbo

Dieselsmoke2012

Ok maybe you can help me out On deciding on this turbo I have a 96 2500 long bed 4x4.5speed with the 215 pump I believe 12valve. right now I have the fuel plate out I have pryo and boost guages straight piped cold air intake that's all right now. But I have just bought last week valve springs 60lbs 4k springs 370marine injectors 90 hp 5 inch exhaust that will be installed as soon as I get the rest of the parts I am looking for witch is turbo kdp kit then I will be putting the injectors and doing timing on it and haveing the above parts put on
I am going to bump the timing to a 16 or so but if there something better for the setup i am wanting let me know the kdp kit will also be added then the airdog 165 will be going on also I am just undecided on what turbo will be my best option I don't pull anything heavy with the truck but I do drive it every day I was thinking hx40 but not sure if its my best option looking for fast take offs and hauling a** I know ain't nothing cheap on diesel performance but not looking to spend a arm and leg for one and about what hp do you think the truck will have after these mods thanks and please explain on the turbo stuff cause when dealing with the turbos and chargers it kinda a blurr thanks for all the help

Punctuation. You should try it.
That sh!t is impossible to read.

Ok maybe you can help me out with deciding on a turbo. I have a 96 2500 long bed 4x4 5speed 12valve, with what i believe is a 215 pump. Right now I have the fuel plate out, pryo and boost guages, straight piped, and a cold air intake. Last week i purchased 60# valvesprings, 4k gov spring kit, 370 marine 90hp injectors, and 5 inch exhaust. Before i start installing things i need to buy a turbo, kdp kit and airdog 165.

Now to my problem, i am undecided on what turbo will be my best option. I don't pull anything heavy with the truck but I do drive it every day. I was thinking about a hx40, but not sure if its my best option. Im looking to be able to haul ass on the highway(65mph wooo) and get moving from a stop fairly quick. What do you guys suggest i get? Keep in mind im not looking to break the bank on a turbo.

On another note, about what hp do you think the truck will have after i install all my parts and get a turbo? Also should i adjust timing at all? I was thinking 16* but i know nothing. Thanks for any help and if you dont mind kindly explaining why the turbo you suggest is best, becuase i dont know much about turbos. Again thanks for all the help.

I did my best with what i had to go off....my head hurts now.

Did you forget about the turbine wheel size difference?

Nope, but I could peg the pyro on a SB way before I could peg a 3fiddy1 for whatever reason (with your sticks/DV's BTW, I couldn't be happier with them).

Also, even considering the compressor size difference, the SB is ridiculously overpriced for what it will do. It's the epitome of an overpriced boutique charger, IMO, and is a waste of money unless utilized as a top huffer in a towing compound setup. Again, just my opinion.

Do you really think the SB is a better choice than a 351cw considering the difference in price compared to the difference in capability (especially if the OP fabbed his own outlet-to-intercooler pipe to make the 3rd gen outlet work)?

What about a 62/65/12 for the OP

I might run a 351 on my 12v,had one sitting on the shelf off my 06 but a customer came in with a bad charger and needed a factory one.So I'm going to try and find another on or possibly run a 62 or 63 charger.

Sorry, S300g. I know SB is usually short for Silver Bullet, but I'm on my phone and I suck at typing.

Looking at the original post I can see an HE351 would be a good fit, but I was referring to more to your comparison of the HE351 and an S300G. There is no way possible the Holset will sustain more power than the Borg Warner, no nonsense simply comparing the wheels(compressor/turbine) side by side it is easy to see. The thing I see day in and day out, is people buying into the "excess is better" mentality, yet only to be faced with less than desired results. More times than not I see turbochargers far too large being used than what is needed, simply because they are popular with the internet crowd.

Underdriving a turbocharger that is too large will create far less desireable results than pushing a turbo that is a bit too small harder, I have seen such a rash of 64mm over 80mm twins lately on trucks that only have fuel for 600hp it is simply inconceivable. Parts need to work together, and many times the blame for poor results falls on one product that is not the real issue, rather the problem lies with the combination.

Last edited:
IMO the HE351 is just a glorified HY35. Everyone ditchs the HY for the HX because of the tight housing so why switch to another compressor with a tight housing again?? I realize it has a larger compressor wheel. I think the compressor wheels on the HE351 and super b flow nearly the same(like 65lb/min vs 61lb/min??), but the super b has a far better turbine side IMO which makes up for it. Excessive drive pressure can hurt performance also.

Also, by the time you buy a good HE351 without a melted turbine wheel lol then fab up the pipes you still into it probably $600, a used super b could be had for like $800 sooo.... brand new only $1200 with a down pipe

Last edited:
Back