~need some advice please~

53 willys

Diesel Dirt Head
we got a few(3) 2005 6.0's that never leave the airport..these trucks have had major problems from never getting hot and never going over 45mph...I know this is the worst thing you can do for a diesel but i'm not the bean counter who thought a diesel would be good for this app....
we clogg egr's no stop..we clog egr coolers no stop....we enabled high idle and it still clogs....I finally talked the boss into possiably doing EGR delete's on these trucks....and any other mods to help keep these out of the shop...
how do you guys feel about the MKM master solution kits with a SCT tuner??
i'm not worried about price we are wasting tons of cash cleaning and replacing parts as is...
MKM master good route??

thanks for any advice and info.:Cheer:

Bulletproof diesel would be my recommendation. I run their full bulletproof system and and SCT with canned tunes. With the 05 you actually won't need a tuner at all as you won't get the CEL like the newer trucks. Upgraded oil cooler and filtration system is part of the package. I would also recommend a coolant filter also. This should cure your 6.oh blues.

Bulletproof diesel would be my recommendation. I run their full bulletproof system and and SCT with canned tunes. With the 05 you actually won't need a tuner at all as you won't get the CEL like the newer trucks. Upgraded oil cooler and filtration system is part of the package. I would also recommend a coolant filter also. This should cure your 6.oh blues.
so skip the head studs?? I think the stock HG is already leaking so the heads might be coming off anyways.....

thanks for the reply.

If the heads must come off then do studs, otherwise run them until they leak. I once had a customer bring his '03 with around 150k on it in for an egr delete. He always leaves it idle for a few minutes before taking off and it's never been to the dealer or any other garage.

I would do an egr delete kit for sure. Test the oil cooler and do a pressure test for a headgasket repair. I would only do what needs to be replaced. some of the 6.0s run fine for a long time and some just have it rough. You can test the oil cooler by hooking a scanner up to it with the vehicle up to temp. If the oil is running warmer than the coolant it would be a good idea to replace the cooler as well. What kind of oil do you run in these trucks?

we use Bulk oil...most of the trucks life it's got shell rimula oil 15-40 last year or so it's been castrol semi syn 15-40

I was brought on to the project after another tech had already pulled the engine out...he said he had codes for #2 30% contribution
this is what the pistons looked like...

what do you guys think is going on here.....
723eeb31.jpg

some really weird spary patterns..
ee1cba27.jpg

this truck has 6,800 hours....most of witch is idling all night so aircraft techs can have some cold AC in the summer or heat in the winter..lol

I was looking at the head up close tonight and noticed the valve that backs the fuel passage through the head has a big puddle of diesel on top of the valve....are these heads known for cracking in this area?? thats the only way I could see diesel fuel getting in there?

Heads.......

I was looking at the head up close tonight and noticed the valve that backs the fuel passage through the head has a big puddle of diesel on top of the valve....are these heads known for cracking in this area?? thats the only way I could see diesel fuel getting in there?

Yes, we see cracked heads.(just did one) Clean the injector bore and inspect the bore near the top of the cup.
You could have a bad injector or nozzle on that stick also. Copper washer blown out? Pic of injector from that cylinder?

For your EGR delete kits check here. This is what we use. Excellent quality and cheap. EGR Delete Kits | Steering Stabilizers | Leveling Kits | Bead Seaters | Polaris ATV Racks

Last edited:
Back