Need some opinions on a diagnosis...

Recently installed a Goerend trans. (47RE) in a 2003. Got the trans. in, flushed the trans cooler, checked for sufficient coolant flow, and checked the line pressure at idle and WOT. Everything was spot on what it should be. Took the truck for a test drive and it drove great. The guy comes and picks his truck up. On the way home he decides to kick down on it. At WOT the truck will act fine for a second, then when the RPM gets up to about 2800-3000, the truck shuts down hard. And I mean HARD. If you let off the throttle and start driving again, its fine. So basically the truck acts fine until you go WOT with it. My first idea was to replace the fuel filter since he couldn't remember the last time he had changed it. The filter was definitely dirty but after changing the filter the truck still acts the same. The truck has a Predator on it, but still acts the same when it was returned to stock. I am thinking that it's definitely something in the fuel system, but just not sure what. Lift pump, FCA, PRV, or CP3? Truck has 140,000 miles on it and no codes are present.

What do you think? Just curious to see if anyone had any similar experiences.

Last edited:
Reset the APPS since you just installed a tranny and had to adjust the TV cable. Can't remember the exact procedure. It is something like this. Disconnect the batteries for 30 min. Connect them back up. Key on and off 3 times, then depress the fuel pedal slowing to WOT 3 times. Maybe someone else knows for sure. I am a bit foggy on it.

This is the procedure for resetting the APPS.

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake

The TV did not have to be adjusted, so I doubt the APPS is a likely fix. Guess it may be worth a shot though.

Do you have a fuel guage on it and a rail guage? I would be looking at the pressures real carefull!

Back