New Member Intro...

82nd Airborne

My name is Mike (82nd Airborne)

I have a

1: '06 Dodge 2500 5.7 Auto Stock (weekend truck) ~ 92,000 miles
2: '09 Dodge 2500 6.7 Manual Stock (except turbo) (daily driver) ~ 76,000 miles

I do a bit of towing, nothing grand. The '06 has been a great vehicle so I thought getting a '09 would be a good idea. Within 3000 miles of owning the vehicle the exhaust break would come on automatically while driving down the highway... URG! So that was the first time I started to read about diesel engines and the changes that have occurred since my '06 was built.

So this past weekend (19OCT19) I swapped out the VGT turbo with a old style fixed type I bought off the internet. Swapping out a turbo by a guy who just changes spark plugs and oil was a very unpleasant experience. Felt good afterward, but still a great deal of cussing was going on in the driveway. I just love how they have connections under the turbo that have to come off first!

In addition to the $1440 turbo I was told I needed a tuner to turn off the check engine light and so forth, another $824.

That led into EFILive… at this point I totally regretted not dropping it off at the dealer.

I thought for $824 I could plug it in and turn off the check engine light. Nope, as you guys already know.

So now I'm trying to get myself educated on the whole diesel thing. Seemed like this may be a good place to start.

Oh yea I cleaned out the EGR cooler at the same time as the turbo... tons of fun there! Black soot was EVERYWHERE! It was really clean when I got done, there's no way a dealer would have taken that much time. Still have the down stream portion to do, but I think the cooler should be the worse.

Welcome.
Sounds like you went at it exactly like an Infantryman would. :)
No offense meant, and thanks for your service.

Start a thread in the appropriate section. Or use search bar as there is a plethora of info here thats already been discussed.

I will punch you in your squirrelface...:stab:

How about that chit Will? Why would anybody call that non dinosaur hauling dick wad a friend?

And just like that.....I tell him to PM YOU...then I get a PM with "how do I sell my schidt?" :hehe: Remove the damn warning labels and let nature takes its course already...… :doh:LOL

Welcome and thanks for your service.

5 posts and we have a derail already, while not a record, a great way for the new guy to get used to the way it is around here sometimes.

Sounds like you bought your EFI live from the wrong person. The right people would advise you the best route to take to modify your truck as well as replacing the turbo. Unfortunately with the way the EPA has been lately it hasn't been best to post names on a public forum. However, do a little research, and you will find the correct people to tune the truck correctly and you will have no problems. EFI live is confusing, but the right people will help you out.

Also. Keep in mind some of the right people may currently be "located" in "Canada."

Back