New member long time viewer NV5600 OEM shift knob

tcummins

Hello, I am new to the forum, but have read the posts for a while now. I have a early '04 Cummins quad cab 4x4 115,000 miles in molten red pear coat.

I am already doin a rebuild do to two failed injectors scoring #2 cylinder pretty good. Iv only had the truck about 5,000 miles and the previous owner ran a hypertec with no guages of any sort to monitor vitals. I

I figure he had rail pressure and timing higher than the truck could handle (stock everything except CAI & 4" straight pipe). Any ways the rebuild is going fine along fine and I figured I'd get rid of the automatic transmission for a NV5600.

I found a pretty good deal on a 6 speed for the same year truck as mine that came with pedal set, hydraulics, shifter, shifter trim console/cup holder, steering column cover, clutch and probably more I'm forgetting.

Anyways it came with everything needed except drive shafts and a shifter knob. Now, I'm not worried about the drive shafts as I will get the rear shortened and the front lengthened.

However, I can not for the life of me find a factory OEM NV5600 shifter knob w/ shift pattern insert that has reverse next to 5th gear. If anybody knows where I can find the OEM knob and insert or just the insert as I realize its the same knob as the transfer case and the G56/NV4500 have that would be awesome.

I'd be willing to pay for it. I like the OEM knob better than any others I have found and think it looks alot better as well. Im going to end up just putting one from a G56 on there if I can't get the correct one.

So, if anybody could help a guy out or point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. I don't care if its used as long as I can still see the shift pattern on it. I know its long winded, but looking everywhere for the OEM knob and its nonexistent.

Thanks alot guys, I really enjoy the forum and look forward to being a part of the discussions when I can give advice from experience or have my own questions.

T

I'm not sure about the knob but I do remember asking my local dealer about a replacement insert for mine and was told it was discontinued. If you can make one, you could always have a vinyl sticker made with the shift pattern on it. Might be worth PM'ing Mark Nixon on here to see if he may have one lying around amongst all other parts he has.

Last edited:
Can you take a different insert, sand it down smooth, then have your local engraver/trophy shop engrave the pattern and color it for you? Seems simple to do. My dad had some stuff done like that once. $.02

I am sure Mark Nixon on here would probably have a box full of these.

I bought a plain round one from ebay with the right pattern on it when I did mine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Awesome! Wonder how one can ensure the pattern doesn't show upside down once threaded on?

No, on the bottom like the vato zone "tuner" ones. I couldn't find find a stock one anywhere and this was the least "oraler-ish" one I came across

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input, iv looked all over eBay and everywhere else. Iv seen the billet ones, just want a OEM one. I will PM Mark Nixon and see if he can help me. If not, I'll look into getting one engraved.
Thanks again.

T

Well, no luck finding a OEM knob today, I looked around a bit for someone that goes engraving, nothin. I also PM'd Mark Nixon, no reply as of yet. Hoping he's got one for me.

Well, no luck finding a OEM knob today, I looked around a bit for someone that goes engraving, nothin. I also PM'd Mark Nixon, no reply as of yet. Hoping he's got one for me.
I had one i took off my 04, let me look around and see if i can locate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Lucky to have one local shop that do some engraving here. His shop is closed for more than a week now though. Good luck with your search.

I had one i took off my 04, let me look around and see if i can locate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thanks man, That would be awesome. Sorry it takes me so long to reply, don't get much free time to get on the web.
CompD Mobile Device

Also does anybody know if I can use a 03 manual transmission wiring harness and plug into my early 04 automatic wiring harness instead of splicing the automatic wiring to the plugs on the manual trans? I'm trying to make this swap look as factory as possible. If anybody has any other input on the auto to manual swap I'd love to hear it. I will be putting motor back in not this coming week but the next hopefully and I'm trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

I'm also going with the qsb 480 marine pistons because I heard they were double heat treated, I noticed they have 3 holes in the inside top of them,which the stock ones don't. I thought maybe the oil jets squirts oil into the one and it flows out the 2 on the opposite side to better cool the piston bowl? Just my guess. Anyone know ?
CompD Mobile Device

Never did find anyone that had a OEM knob. Looks like I'll get one for a g56. If anybody does end up knowing where I can get OEM one or has on I'll still be interested in getting the correct one.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the effort.

T

Back