new to me 2013 passat tdi

Wozxxx86

i need money
Ok...been don sum reading in the owners manual. From what I gather you can just run regular full synthetic oil in these cars and not diesel specific. Is that correct? I know it has to meet that 507 standard..I'm just used to dealing with a cummins : ). Any thing I should know about these cars other that changd the timing belt...o by the way it has the dsg trans. What fluid can you use in those and what's it like servicing that? Thank you

Amsoil also sells oils specifically for the import diesels if you like the amsoil. I plan to get my wife a 10 or newer TDI soon and that's what I'll be running.

I stick with what the dealers use. VW recommended Castrol Edge Professional LL03 5w-30 full synthetic and meets the 507 spec. I keep the purchase the receipts from each oil change. Should anything catastrophic happen to the engine (knock on wood), they can't (shouldn't) point the finger at me since I could prove and say "I used the same oil any dealer would."

I recommend a Diesel Geek Panzer plate for the underbelly of it. An 1/8" thick sheet of aluminum adds quite a bit more protection for that thin aluminum oil pan. Rather than a measly plastic belly pan.

Last edited:
If you'd like, I have oil sample analyses for the Castrol that I can share. Both virgin and 10k mile samples.

Thanks for the info. The dealer that I bought It from gave me 2 yrs free oil changes and they use the castrol so I'm good on that and I prolly won't be going the 10k intervals. What about the dsg trans on these, I love the way the shift feels, but how durable are they?

I haven't heard of any issues with these DSGs just yet. I haven't visited the TDI Club forums in a little while though. I recall hearing about some issues with the earlier DSGs but supposedly, VW had a handle on them around 2009 (?). It's an interesting gearbox, no doubt. For stock power, durability isn't a concern. I typically have mine in Manual mode (I'm used to driving a manual in my '90 Dodge and like having more control). Sport mode for when I don't feel like having to shift. Drive mode only every once in a while just to "cycle" through it. Very short shifts though.

Malone has tuning for the DSGs, which increases the torque limit level among other things. Some guys have had theirs tuned without having an engine tune and I've read nothing but great things about it. They said driveability and shifting improved quite a bit.

VW seems to have the dsg figured out and as jumbo said I've heard nothing but good things about malone dsg tunes. Want to tune our 14 when the warranty is up. Wife already put 26k on it in the 9 months we've had it.

Thanks. I was doing some reading on how to chang the tranny fluid, definatly not as easy as a 46rh. Considering you need vcds to do it.

VCDS is a great tool! One of the best things for your car you can invest in. It's fun to tweak the body control module and make your car unique. Viewing engine vitals and other parameters is an awesome capability. If I'm not mistaken, one can log data in real time. I've yet to dig into that just yet. I want to build a small stand I can place my laptop on while connected to the car and have it next to the center console.

He has a setup for your phone or tablet to run vcds now, so maybe wait for that to be fully released and that'd be the way to go....does the shareware version work on this new of a vehicle?

I have a 13 VW TDI. Oil changes every 5k. Oil is cheap insurance and those 10K intervals are crazy with the crappy protection these oils have. Liqui-Moly Top-Tech 4200 5w-30 is also a good oil and is VW 507 compliant. The 507 complacency is only for the DPF, no DPF and you can run regular 15w-40.

Also, as other mentioned. Get a VCDS cable. Worth every penny.

On the DSG. I change the fluid every 20K. About $ 100.00 in factory fluid and filter. Fluid can be changed without VCDS. Tdiclub.com has a good informative thread and how to. The good thing is with the VCDS you can have the transmission re-learn for clutch wear after you change fluid.

I have a 13 VW TDI. Oil changes every 5k. Oil is cheap insurance and those 10K intervals are crazy with the crappy protection these oils have. Liqui-Moly Top-Tech 4200 5w-30 is also a good oil and is VW 507 compliant. The 507 complacency is only for the DPF, no DPF and you can run regular 15w-40.

Also, as other mentioned. Get a VCDS cable. Worth every penny.

On the DSG. I change the fluid every 20K. About $ 100.00 in factory fluid and filter. Fluid can be changed without VCDS. Tdiclub.com has a good informative thread and how to. The good thing is with the VCDS you can have the transmission re-learn for clutch wear after you change fluid.
Ditto. Don't believe half of what the guys on tdi forums say. I changed my DSG fluid without vagcom or any special tools. Used a McDonalds straw through the filter base to add the oil back in with the idparts.com fluid and filter kit.

Ditto. Don't believe half of what the guys on tdi forums say. I changed my DSG fluid without vagcom or any special tools. Used a McDonalds straw through the filter base to add the oil back in with the idparts.com fluid and filter kit.

Like that avatar... making me hungry! Time for lunch.

I have been on the diesel scene for 15 years. TDR, and Comp have been my go to places for a forum. Those TDI guys are not what you have here and if it is not by the book, watch out!

Last edited:
Re learning for clutch wear sounds pretty important for the longgevity of the trans to me. Looks like i'll need to invest in vcds. Has anyone ever had a problem with the def freezing ? tL

Back