New to pulling and have some Q's

joelc79

I'm by no mean a puller or an expert just a drag racer and an avid pulling spectator.
A friend of mine is starting to get into pulling workstock with his 03' cummins. He has the traction bars, adjustable bump stops, and minor motor mods which include a massaged he351, 181/210, S06, studs, etc.
His truck ha had the trans done by previous owner, not sure whats been done but it feels nice and firm.
His problem has been the truck will shift into 3rd locked (we think) falls on its face but then automatically unlocks at the end of the pull but just a little to late. His tire suck so he should get wheel spin, but with the trans shifting like it does it moves just enough to keep his tires from slipping.
3:73 gears, 4-low, 32" tires. I'll post up a gopro shot of the pull in a bit.

My thoughts is there is not enough trans psi to hold 2nd, or the valve body has a shift kit or something funny modifying the shifts under a load.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my fphone

Nope, it seems to lock when it hits 3rd then unlocks just before it falls completely on its face.

Sent from my fphone

Get one. Get into lockup in 2nd and see how it does. Just practice unlocking it before it snuffs at the end.

Might not need to unlock running 2nd. A truck set up properly should lug and spin out at the end still locked.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Its not shifting into over drive is it? I have heard of guys having that problem with 03-05 trucks.

The tow/haul on an 05 is only that. No control of O/D lockout without an additional box or an educated dealer. I think I have a spare BD box if he is interested.

I would definitely run 2nd locked. But if he really wants to win then he wants use drive but it will take a lower set of gears like 4:30's or 4:56's. Or a extra 100hp should do the trick also.

I would definitely run 2nd locked. But if he really wants to win then he wants use drive but it will take a lower set of gears like 4:30's or 4:56's. Or a extra 100hp should do the trick also.

We were skeptical on keeping it in second, probably try that next pull.

Sent from my fphone

I have an 05 and use bd box he should easily be able to pull 3rd unlocked. I bet it's going to 4th overdrive. He could start trying second locked but it ended up being to low of a gear for me.

Back