NHRA and the new sportsman rule, on oil downs

To make it even easier just read:

NHRA expands oildown policy for all POWERade event participants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/7/2007

Given the significant increase in oildowns by both Professional and Sportsman competitors, NHRA will expand its oildown policy to include all competitors attending each NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series national event. The policy will be effective beginning with the ACDelco NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla., March 15-18.

Until this year, only professional competitors in Top Fuel and Funny Car and Sportsman racers in Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, have been assessed oildown penalties at national events. Starting next week, an oildown policy will be extended to professionals in Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle, as well as sportsman racers in Competition Eliminator, Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Gas and Super Street.

Oildowns, and more importantly downtime associated with clean-up efforts, affect everyone at an NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series event, including spectators, competitors, sponsors and television viewers. With curfews and schedules, the recent problem of oildowns in both professional and sportsman categories, has caused in some cases cancellation of qualifying sessions, early start times and very late conclusions to the respective sessions.

“Over the first two events of 2007, Top Fuel and Funny Car accounted for a total of two hours and 49 minutes of downtime, while Sportsman classes combined for a total of four hours and 37 minutes during the same two events. This trend, seen over the last several years, is the impetus for NHRA's decision to mandate oildown penalties for both professional and sportsman classes,” said Graham Light, senior vice president of racing operations, NHRA.

In conjunction with the implementation of the oildown penalties, lower engine restraint devices will still be mandatory in Sportsman categories based on the staged approach announced by NHRA in 2006. Competition Eliminator vehicles with a wet sump oiling system must be equipped with a lower engine restraint device by May 1, 2007. By January 1, 2008, all Competition Eliminator vehicles with a dry sump oil system, all Pro Stock, Super Comp and Super Gas vehicles must be equipped with a lower engine restraint device.

While all devices must now be NHRA accepted, an SFI Spec 7.2 device is highly recommended in light of the newly announced oildown penalties (SFI spec 7.1 is mandatory in TAD and TAFC). Comp and Super Comp dragsters may utilize a belly pan in lieu of a restraint, but the belly pan must be from frame rail to frame rail, extend forward of the harmonic balancer and rearward of the flywheel, and must utilize a minimum two-inch-high lip on all sides.

“Competitors at an NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series national event are the best drag racers in the world and, as such, should be at the top of his or her game and be prepared to represent the sport at the highest level,” said Light.

Fine revenue derived from oildown violations at NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series events will be utilized by NHRA to purchase equipment and/or supplies in an attempt to improve oildown clean-up time and efficiency.

Professional and sportsman competitors can review the complete oildown policy by logging on to www.nhra.com/oildowns

Oildown Penalties

Professional Categories:

Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Pro Stock Motorcycle

Each professional team is allowed one (1) oildown violation prior to any penalty. Violations are assessed after the first allowed oildown in the following manner:

Violation Number
Penalty

$500 fine regardless of whether qualifying or eliminations;

Loss of 10 points if during eliminations

2-5
Fine increases in $500 increments; Loss of 10 points for each infraction during eliminations

$5,000 fine regardless of whether qualifying or eliminations;

Loss of 10 points if during eliminations

After 6*
Fine increases in $1,000 increments;

Loss of 10 points for each infraction during eliminations

(*) NHRA will review (with the team) their season performance. As a result of that review, further action may be taken as determined by NHRA, varying from probation to a requirement to test or a denial to participate at future NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series national events.

Multiple Violations at Same Event

If professional competitors violate the oildown policy multiple times at the same event, the resulting violations will result in double the posted fines plus loss of 15 points if during eliminations. Three (3) or more violations during the same event will result in double the posted fine plus loss of 20 points if during eliminations.

Additional Earned Credits

Professional teams will earn an additional one (1) credit after 25 consecutive oil-free runs at NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series national events. Those credits earned will not be rolled-over from one season to the next.

NHRA POWERade Countdown to the Championship

In 2007, NHRA launched the sport's first-ever playoff-style format to determine the NHRA POWERade World Champion in each of the four professional categories. Given that, the NHRA POWERade Countdown to the Championship oildown policy is as follows:

Countdown Finalists

The Top Eight teams, beginning with the start of the NHRA POWERade Countdown to the Championship at the Mac Tools U.S. Nationals, will have their oildown credits re-adjusted to one (1) credit. The same policy, as implemented in the regular season, will apply.

The Top Four teams, entering the ACDelco Las Vegas NHRA Nationals, will have their oildown credits re-adjusted to one (1) credit. The same policy, as implemented in the regular season, will apply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sportsman Categories:

Top Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car, Competition Eliminator, Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, Super Gas, Super Street

Each sportsman team starts each event with zero (0) oildown penalties. Violations are assessed in the following manner:

Violation Number
Penalty

$250 fine;

Loss of 5 points

Additional $500 fine;

Loss of additional 10 points

Disqualification from event;

Loss of additional 15 points

:clap:

IMHO this will last about two events because if the racers aren't oiling down the track the fans aren't emptying the stands to buy $5 cokes and $8 beers. If these events were on live TV I think the rule would last but they aren't.

This is same reason why a DJ in a club plays a crappy song every so often because if you're booty shakin' :shake: you aren't buying overpriced drinks.

I seen where there was approximately 5+ hours of total down time accounted for in the first 2 events of 2007- between the F/C and T/F cars leaking and some Sportsman class shutdowns..

They want to keep the races going not shutdown the races while the safety safari tends to track issues from oil downs....

RacinDuallie said:
They want to keep the races going not shutdown the races while the safety safari tends to track issues from oil downs....

Yep, the spectators came to watch race cars, not sweepers. Maybe we should put slicks on the sweepers, and run them on CH3NO2? LOL

In this case I really do think NHRA has our sports interest at heart. And besides, if you really want to see a pissy driver tell them they have to run in the same lane after an oil down...

Paul

This isn't going to stop 100 % of oil downs, so there will still be a chance for the stands to empty and beer to be sold.

Don't get me wrong because I'm all for this even down to street ET test and tune at the local tracks (it's selfish but I came to make as many passes as I can for my $20 LOL ).

All I'm saying is rules tend to change fast when money is involved...

The real money is TV time , and the only way NHRA can make time work is not oil down, This has been in place for 5 years on the pro's . The fans leave the stands inbetween rounds of the Pro's

what manufactures have built or is going to build blankets/diapers for our 5.9 application or is a guy going to have to modify one from the currently listed gasser application's

I currently have one being built for Project X diesel , it will serve as a pattern

JUST POSTED ON THE COMP RACER FORUM FROM
Len Imbrogno
NHRA TECH DIRECTOR

Everyone:

The intent of NHRA’s new oil down policy is not to fine racers for
engine failures, but rather, to get racers to understand the importance of keeping the race surface free of oil as a result of engine failures. As many of you have stated on this forum, no sportsman racer intends to blow a motor or can prevent it from happening. The NHRA realizes that racing engines can blow up unsuspectingly with no forewarning. The key factor is for racers to take needed precautionary measures to prevent and/or reduce track surface oil spills as a result of unsuspecting, and in most cases, unpreventable engine failures. While racers may not have any control over such possible engine failures, they can take preventive measures to stop oil from being released on to the racing surface by utilizing engine containment devices. This is the whole intent behind the expanding rules requirement for bottom end containment devices in eventually all categories. There are already several race tracks through-out the country that have mandated engine containment devices for their local programs for several years.

One factor that has contributed to the need for the new policy and the growing need for engine containment devices is the increasing amount of oil downs attributed to core sportsman categories. In fact, there have been a number of sportsman racers that have indicated to me in the past that oil down-time is becoming a growing problem in the sportsman ranks. At a meeting in Indy this past year with a group of sportsman racers, the question was asked: “When is NHRA going to do something about oil downs”?

An example of the growing oil-down problem can be seen already this season after only two national events. So far this year, Competition Eliminator and Stock Eliminator have had more average national event down-time attributed to oil downs than any of the other categories including the pros! The actual numbers have recently been attached to the article appearing on the NHRA website for everyone to see. This growing problem of more and more sportsman oil downs has grown over the last several years. Add to this growing down-time problem the fact that many of the types of lubricants being used today, such as the synthetics, are next to impossible to clean up when deposited on the racing surface. Both factors have significantly added to the increasing oil down time at national events. The overall amount of down-time is a major concern for all NHRA racers, the on-site fans, television time schedules, time restraint curfews at many national events and the image of the entire sport in general. Let us also not forget the increased possibility for accidents as well as deteriorating track conditions as a result of oil downs. If this whole program saves just one race car from crashing, it is worth it as I am sure you would all agree.

The NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series national events are a showcase for the general public to see the best drag racers in the world, whether in the professional or sportsman categories. To keep current fans and build a new following of drag racing enthusiasts, it is imperative that we have an exciting, fast-paced show at our national events. Simply put, they want to be entertained and not watch our safety team cleaning the track. While no one is happy with the thought of a possible oil down fine, I am sure you can all see why it is becoming imperative to better control oil downs that rob precious time from national event schedules.

The new oil down policy was not a popular subject or an easy decision to make for anyone at the NHRA. However, something had to be put in place to get everyone’s attention regarding the seriousness of this matter. When you look at the overall numbers of sportsman racers that have serious engine failures, there is a very good chance that very few of you will ever be subject to an oil down fine. However, if this new rule prevents just one hour per national event of oil down time, on average, that would equate to almost two additional full days of racing in one season. Nothing would make the entire NHRA staff happier than not having to levy any fines to sportsman racers.

Len Imbrogno
NHRA TECH DIRECTOR

REWARD vs. PENALTY
Posted by Pat Joffrion on 3/9/2007, 7:23 am

As a track owner, I can attest to the problems with oil downs. Cost of supplies, labor, and extended ambulatory costs come into play with every oil down. I instituted a program at No Problem Raceway for our weekly bracket-racing program as follows:
An "oil-down" hits the books if the race is delayed more than 20 minutes for cleanup. Each racer causing a delay of more than 20 minutes is recorded in our tower oil-down ledger. If a racer is involved in a 2nd oil-down during the year, he will have $200 deducted from any winnings he has coming to him and he will lose his points for that event.

HOWEVER, WE HAVE A DIAPER REWARD SYSTEM TOO!

Any racer winning an event that has an engine diaper is rewarded with a bonus $100 added to his purse. He can collect this bonus up to 2 times each year, which will just about cover the cost of the engine diaper.

At one event last year, we paid the $100 bonus in Quick-16, Super Pro, No-Electronics, and Motorcycle. That event was run without a single oil-down. The way I figure, after paying out the extra $400, I still saved money. The cost of operating my facility for 1 extra hour doing track cleanup and prep supplies is around $450. Since I instituted the reward policy, our oil downs have gone to almost zero! I have saved thousands of dollars in cleanup costs and our events are finishing as much as two hours earlier than before the reward policy was put in place.

And yes, I got a lot of flack from the racers, but I asked that they give the program a chance to work, and if needed, I would make modifications. Well, let me inform you that I have not had to make any changes, and the racers are also grateful that our events no longer run until 2:00 a.m. Most of the events are now finished before 10:00 p.m. and we get a chance to hang out at the sportsbar. My track crew isn't worn to a frazzle, and our cleanup equipment usually sits idle the entire day.

As a stock & super stock racer, I would like to see NHRA "reward" the racers rather than enforce a "penalty". It's sort of like my dad treated me when I was in school. I was rewarded for straight A's, and I was penalized for an F on my report card. I would suggest that NHRA rethink the PENALTY ONLY situation and rather that they would first try a REWARD system that would add $100 to the winner and $50 to the runner-up in all of the sportsmen categories when the diaper is used. And further, that a 20-minute race interruption time period be considered before penalties are levied.

At one event in 1998, due to lack of enough valve-to- piston clearance, I lost two new engines; one in the burnout, the other down track. I know what kind of incidents can occur. Give every racer the 1st one each year, and if a penalty is to be enforced, it should be after the first occurrence. And reward those racers who invest in the diapers. In the long run, it will save time, and to NHRA and track operators, time is money.

Pat Joffrion
4308 SS/KA D/FIA
General Managing Partner
No Problem Raceway Park[/

Back