Nitrous backfires

Too much too soon = Boom. You 66 should handle anything you throw at it, you just need to dump the drive pressure. I beat the hell out of my 66/71 and it's been alive for 5 years now, and I'm running A LOT more nitrous than you.

I got a Zex kit and What size nozzles would ya'll recommend running on a 600-650 hp truck? truck will mainly be traveling down the 1/8th mile

I got a Zex kit and What size nozzles would ya'll recommend running on a 600-650 hp truck? truck will mainly be traveling down the 1/8th mile

Depends on alot of things.

First being how much extra unburnt fuel do you have?

What are the mods on your truck?

Depends on alot of things.

First being how much extra unburnt fuel do you have?

What are the mods on your truck?

With my Smarty and Dr P it smoked like crazy but im about to have the following as my setup:

Super B Special with 2nd gen manifold swap
Hamilton Springs and Extreme Pushrods
ARP Studs
90 hp injectors
FASS 150/200
ATS Arc Flow
Edge EZ
Smarty TNT Revo
Goerend Full Billet Trans
5'' Exhaust

Only in need of a CP3 upgrade now

Well....

Smoke doesn't always mean excess fuel.

Some of the smokiest trucks I've seen have been from bad tuning. A drained rail will make ALOT of black smoke.

I would definately work on that CP3 Upgrade before spray.

Also... The mods you've listed are a good start for a non bottle fed app, but alot will tell you that if you're gonna run any REAL shot of nitrous you're gonna need more than that.

625's, O-rings or Firerings, Better Wastegate Setup, Etc.

The Super B Special is a 64/14/71 wastegated correct? As long as it's gated you'll be OK for a small shot... Notice I said SMALL shot.

You'll definately want a drivepressure gauge to tune with.

Might be able to use a jet in the .020 to .030 range maybe. More if you've got more fuel and less drivepressure than I think you're gonna have.

Thing is... If everything is tuned correctly that Super B Special should be clearing up almost all of the extra fuel you've got from the 90 Horse Sticks.

Nitrous is an addictive drug... it WILL cause you to do things you know you shouldn't.

"Awww.... One more size up on the jet won't hurt!..." Is the last thing ALOT of guys have said before watching head gaskets pop and turbos go boom.

THANKS for the great info ... my main use was as you explained for my setup, a small shot to clear up all my smoke and lower egts to around 1200 at WOT, 30-75 hp shot is what i was thinking would be safe ... The SBS is wastegated and i have all my DiPricols to monitor in the cockpit ... Ran an 8.22 1/8th on Stock turbo, stock motor, and smarty/dr p tune; looking to break into mid to high 7s on the setup im completing now and around 7.5 on nitrous

THANKS for the great info ... my main use was as you explained for my setup, a small shot to clear up all my smoke and lower egts to around 1200 at WOT, 30-75 hp shot is what i was thinking would be safe ... The SPS is wastegated and i have all my DiPricols to monitor in the cockpit ... Ran an 8.22 1/8th on Stock turbo, stock motor, and smarty/dr p tune; looking to break into mid to high 7s on the setup im completing now and around 7.5 on nitrous

No problem...

Just remember... NO smoke is bad on the bottle. You still want to see a haze of smoke...

Just to clarify... Because Danin/DiPricol doesn't make an actual Drive Pressure Gauge...

You want to have a gauge that reads your turbine drive pressure... Maintain as close to a 1:1 ratio between drive and boost as possible and you're golden.

I would NOT exceed a DP/B Ratio of 1.3:1ish...

I also highly doubt you're maintaining good rail pressure with DR.P, Smarty, and 90 Horse Sticks.

I'll bet you're way down on rail pressure in fact...

Something to look into for sure.

Good Luck!

sold the dr p .. and have yet to test the new setup, im in the process of putting a new motor in the truck ... i have a smarty and Ez now .. pressures never dropped below 20k at WOT; however, i know that i should be around 23-25 i still dont think 20 was bad with a stock cp3 ... who makes a Drive Pressure Gauge or will boost gauge work the same

Well you can use anything from an oil pressure gauge, to a boost gauge... Pressure gauges are pressure gauges...

Isspro makes a few that are actually labelled Turbine Drive Pressure. Which if you're anal like me... Is kinda nice. They have them in the EV2 Series as well as Performax.

You'll have to run about 6' of coiled copper wire to act as a buffer from the heat before you connect to either the pressure sender or the plastic line that actually feeds the gauge. There's a thread in the Dodge Competition Section discussing Drive Pressure Line Filters.. Which would be something to consider as well.

As for your rail pressure, I'd definately look into the modified CP3 before worryin' about the bottle...

But again... Thats just me. I like to know that one step is completely finished before moving onto the next one.

20K isn't dangerously low by any means, but it's also not optimal.

Back