No bus, Gauges Work

AKDieseL

I inherited a project, '99 engine swapped into '00 truck, that wouldn't start. I got the truck running, crank sensor unplugged and fuel pump electronics all haywire. Truck runs great, starts fine, etc. However there is one hiccup I can't figure out. After the grid heater cycles check gages lights up, then no bus and check engine. As I said, truck runs great, gauges work fine. I have gone thru all engine bay grounds that I can find. 2 down on fender well below driver side battery, 1 on top radiator support/front quarter panel driver side. Pcm to firewall. 1 from main engine loom that I believe used to be to p/s bolt, I rerouted it to driver fender well. 1 from driver battery negative to frame. Didn't disconnect and inspect gray plug on passenger side fender which I believe is "g115", but I know it's plugged in.

Is there one I'm missing? Should I make separate ground connecting battery, to block, to frame and to cab? Or is this gonna be a '99 vs '00 difference? Friend really wants this cured so he can sell it. Thanks for any help.

In case anyone runs into this problem, it turned out to be the pcm. When the engines were swapped, they swapped pcms as well. So guess pcms must stay with the truck, not the engine.

The 01 cluster requires a signal from the ecm of some sort that it gets VIA the PCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

98/some 99 do not. I tested clusters from both in my 12v swap before buying one

98 is specific to 98. All 98-02 run off ccd bus. The 98s are pinned differently than the 99+.

My 01 12v swap has a 98 cluster. No repinning needed. It also ran with a test 99 cluster to kill the no bus message

This is why. 1999 was the bastard year apparently. :Cheer:

Attachments

• 1998.JPG
    1998.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1999.JPG
    1999.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2000.JPG
    2000.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 0
That makes sense. I may be wrong on the one cluster being a 99. It may have been a 2000 but either way. I know the earlier clusters didn’t give no bus with the 12v swap truck where the 01 did give No Bus

Back