No TC end play in 5r110 bolted to dcs adapter/flex plate

blackdiesel

I've got a 5r behind a 12 valve in a conversion. i just slid a really nice triple disk from Phil into it and made sure it was seated all the way. of this i'm certin (straight edge against the bellhousing, small air gap between straight edge and stub in center of converter).

I have a DCS alum adapter and DCS flex plate on the Cummins, and when I bolted them together I was religious on checking to make sure I could still move the converter with a screwdriver. All was fine until my bellhousing gap got to ~30-50 thousandths of an inch. Then the conveter was touching the flex and i was unable to turn it.

Pulled it all back apart, triple checked everything and bolted it back together. Same issue.

Anyone ran into this before? The trans I've installed in the past (all have been 47's and 48's) have had 1/16-3/32 of an inch of play after the trans is bolted to the factory adapter plate. Just doesnt seem right that there is pressure on it.

Help.

Make sure the converter pilot and the flex plate pilot are the same size. I've seen some flex plates with a slightly smaller pilot and they cause converter bind right when the Trans is bolted up.

Make sure the converter pilot and the flex plate pilot are the same size. I've seen some flex plates with a slightly smaller pilot and they cause converter bind right when the Trans is bolted up.

I'll check that tomorrow. What are the tolerances? IE: can I enlarge it with a carbide burr or do I need to chuck it in a lathe?

I'm going to follow up with my findings in case someone searches and runs into this post down the road.

I removed the trans today and took the flex plate off of the engine and put it over the stub of the converter to see if that is what it was hitting on. No such luck.

I called DCS and some jack wagon there started telling me how I didnt need a lower stall aftermarket converter, and that their programming compensates for it. I told him I wasn't having them program my trans then I got a huge spill about why it's better and all this crap. However from the horror stories I've heard from them, they would be the last ones I want programming my truck.

So next I called Phil, really nice guy. Told him my situation and asked if the converter could be cut apart and set to a different height. He said absoutly, and since I knew that @ .025" gap my converter locked up, he said he could take .050" out of it and make it work like it should.

But to save the shipping and down time, I shimmed my bellhousing from the adapter. Same end result, just much faster.

Back