Not your average 13mm pump question

Jacob 76

Let'er Buck
This is mostly out of curiosity because I know a 13mm pump will be more than enough for me. I'm building my engine for the 3.2 class here in Colorado. After me and my brother managed to wreck my p-pumped 24v I built last summer I decided to go a little more wild with it this time... I've currently got a pump that the previous owner had built by Dynomite and is supposedly flowed at 680cc's and has 5k springs. My injectors are Scheid 6x.015's.

I'm pretty set on using Kevin at Northeast to build my pump because everybody has awesome things to say about him and he seemed very knowledgeable when I spoke to him. Now to the question... I know a 13mm pump will make more power than a 12mm pump will set at the same cc's. Why is it that some companies (like industrial) sell 14mm pumps? Does the same principal apply that a 14mm pump will make more power set at the same cc?

13mm P&B is the largest you can fit in a stock pump housing without machining, I'd reckon that's 90% of the reason most companies keep it to 13mm, and probably because 13mm is good for huge power.

13mm P&B is the largest you can fit in a stock pump housing without machining, I'd reckon that's 90% of the reason most companies keep it to 13mm, and probably because 13mm is good for huge power.

Not true. 14mm b&p don't require modifying the housing. However, Bosch doesn't make a 14mm b&p so you're stuck with an aftermarket b&p which are usually lower quality.

Not true. 14mm b&p don't require modifying the housing. However, Bosch doesn't make a 14mm b&p so you're stuck with an aftermarket b&p which are usually lower quality.

Do you even know what you're talking about?!?!

...Kidding LOL

consider myself proven wrong, who makes a 14mm P&B for a 7100 series if not bosch? seems like the demand would be very low.

Thanks for the responses guys, curiosity kinda got the best of me after I talked to the machine shop. For some reason he was under the impression I wanted to run like a 17mm pump off a CAT or BB John Deere and tried to talk me out of it???

Wasn't there a company called "rocken tech" or something like that, that sold 16mm b&p for p pumps? I guess I don't see why you'd ever need something bigger than a 13mm pump for B-series displacement. If Shane can get 2,500+ HP out of one then I'm sure it'll be enough for me...

Wasn't there a company called "rocken tech" or something like that, that sold 16mm b&p for p pumps? I guess I don't see why you'd ever need something bigger than a 13mm pump for B-series displacement. If Shane can get 2,500+ HP out of one then I'm sure it'll be enough for me...

Rocken-Tech are junk...stay a long way away from them.

Very few people with b-series engines can use a 13mm pump to it's full potential. To answer your previous question, assuming the rest of the fuel injection system is in order, using a larger pumping element will make more power at a given flow #.

I believe Shane uses a Sigma, maybe a billet Sigma...different breed of cat completely.

Seems like Lee at rockentech is 100% set on doing everything as cheep as possible despite quality. Every thing he sells is Chinese junk

Rocken-Tech are junk...stay a long way away from them.

Very few people with b-series engines can use a 13mm pump to it's full potential. To answer your previous question, assuming the rest of the fuel injection system is in order, using a larger pumping element will make more power at a given flow #.

I believe Shane uses a Sigma, maybe a billet Sigma...different breed of cat completely.

Shane runs a 16mm Sigma (non-billet) set at 1,300cc. Wrote an article on him for diesel power mag a few months ago.

Sorry I should've worded that better. Im not planning on using any rocken tech stuff, I just remember seeing it and I was curious... And I was not aware Shane ran a sigma pump. I thought he had one of Haisley's super b engines with a 13mm pump from them also. I guess I was wrong.

Isn't a "stupid pump" also a 14mm pump?

Wow, "stupid" pump, that takes me back. No, those were 13mm.

Aren't you running brush pulls? Put a hot 12mm on there, and do some suspension tuning!

Wow, "stupid" pump, that takes me back. No, those were 13mm.

Aren't you running brush pulls? Put a hot 12mm on there, and do some suspension tuning!

Yes I am. The Guy who's won 3.2 the past few years dyno'd his pickup twice in the past few weeks and with the turbos he won with he made 7xx HP and with his new setup (I think they're BB Garretts) and a lot of nitrous he made 99x HP.

I was told those were both uncorrected figures so I know there is alot to be had through chassis tuning if he can win with that kind of power. The problem is I need to get my pump rebuilt anyway. A quick history on it...

I bought a complete Ppumped 24v from DeStroked that II built for one of their customers. II charged the guy $20,000 for this engine and they could never get it to run and I bought it from DeStroked for $2,500. Well after issues my brother, dad, and friends have had with II I didnt want to run the engine anyway so I began to tear it down and HOLY SH!T was that a good idea. II broke off 2 injector hold down bolts, there was a piece they torched out of the girdle, EVERY rod had gouges in them from being put in a normal bench vise, the holes in the injectors were run together when looked at in a magnifying glass. The list goes on and on. So I called Destroked and asked what the deal with the pump was and they said Industrials pump never ran so they sent it to Dynomite. So I called Dynomite and they said it was built before they had their new "system" so they didn't have records for my pump... I've never actually ran this pump, we just put my brothers Scheid pump on it when we ran it.

Like I said, it needs to be rebuilt because I don't want some mystery bastard child of a pump on my engine and if it's gonna get rebuilt I figured "just do a 13mm right away"

Yes I am. The Guy who's won 3.2 the past few years dyno'd his pickup twice in the past few weeks and with the turbos he won with he made 7xx HP and with his new setup (I think they're BB Garretts) and a lot of nitrous he made 99x HP.

I was told those were both uncorrected figures so I know there is alot to be had through chassis tuning if he can win with that kind of power."

He dynod high 900's un corrected. But that was after he took the 3.2 charger off and put an 88mm low pressure on it. Also on nitrous. And he uses Borg Warner chargers. Just box units in the past but the new 66/88 setup is billet wheels I believe.

I highly doubt II did that

Oh they did... I called them when I got the engine before I tore it down and they gave me a rundown of everything that was in it (all the hard parts they said were in the engine were there, just put in really wrong). They even sent me the build sheet for the engine. I won't come out and say anything bad about II but everybody I know that's used them has been disappointed.

I don't want to try and be an Internet bada$$ and talk sh!t about everyone and everything. I stated facts, that's it. I'll never use them for anything but everybody else can make up their own mind about them...

13mm 3.2 truck? When did you decide this? And are you still going to daily drive it?

I can't wait for a ride in the finished product!

I'll drive it but probably not much. I never really decided until John got his Carrillos and said I could have his old rods...

Back