Nv-4500 swap with double disc

ryanihw350

1stGENPULLER
In process of doing the nv-4500 swap in my first gen pull truck and ran into a problem. The tranny came out of a 99 dodge and the clutch is my old south bend double disc with stock size shaft hub. I had it all together and test drove it. It would not go easily into 2nd on up and when it built boost it slipped. Took it back out last night and the input shaft didnt get into the disc closest to flywheel all the way and spun inside before the splines. Talked with south bend and sent them disc pictures and i supposively have the disc in correct from the way he told me they go. The tranny went in smoothly on first install but the input shaft needed to go about 1/2 in farther up. Is the 99 nv 45000 input shaft shorter or do i have a disc backwards? I am stumped as of now. Here is the disc closest to flywheel that input shat didnt make it all the way into the splined hub. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335379538.381281.jpg

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?utxctk

did the input shaft make it all the way into the pilot bearing in the flywheel?

more importantly, which bellhousing did you use? an nv4500 housing or the stock 1st gen housing?

Could the engine adapters be different depth or something? I'm just thinking because you need to change adapter to use a lockup trans in a first gen truck. I dont have any laying around to check out.

I used the engine adapter, bellhousing and nv-4500 out of the 99. The 99 had a newer stock single clutch setup. I put the np-205 back in instead of the dhd 241 which wouldn't matter in this case. I can't use the engine adapter out of the first gen since the nv-4500 bellhousing won't bolt up.

Take a picture of the input shaft to show how far the rear disc was on it. I personaly would not reccomend their clutchs with the hell i went though on my truck. $.02 I had it down to about a hour and a half getting the old one out and new in and back on the road. Went with a 47rh and i have done nothing but drive it for the past 5K miles. Post more pictures on the clutch and might tell more to the story.

Just a thought do you have the machined clutch fork in or a stock one? If I remember right you have to put a spacer behind the pivot ball too.

Stock clutch fork from the 2nd gen is what i am using and no spacer on pivot ball, just that spring clip.SB said stock 2nd clutch fork should work. The first gen clutch fork had to be ground down to clear the pressure plate when it was with the getrag. I went through that in 09 after 3 times taking it in and out.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?en55ma

Thanks for everyone that posted, it was the clutch disc toward the flywheel that was backwards. It got back together early Saturday Morning.

Clutch is holding fine right now. But I think either my stock 1st gen hydraulics are giving up(don't it) or I am boiling the fluid. When I got done pulling both times, It would not go into any gear at all. I shut down the truck and put it in gear and cranked it up. push the clutch in and still going. Weighed out and let it sit there idling for awhile before my next class. Went to go try it and then it goes in gear. Same senerio for my next pull.

Got a video from last night, got two 2nd with it pulling against some strong Duramaxes.

http://youtu.be/OfxyydLcYOQ

I swapped it over to 4:10s I have been pulling in 3rd low. It has the power to pull 2nd high but not real sure I have enough clutch left. I have been pulling on the clutch for over 3 years and it is about done.

I swapped my nv4500 in with all second gen stuff and didn't have any problems. We put in a sbc3850 too but bought upgraded hydraulics.. If you order upgraded hydraulics for a 94-98 truck they will fork fine in a first gen. Are you missing ol blue yet Tyler?

I am doing a nv4500 swap into my 1st gen. I need to get new hydraulics because mine were bleeding off and it would get stuck into gear.

Back