NV5600 stronger gears?

jjhiebert

Im working on my brothers NV5600 6-speed. He has a 2003 3500 4x4 SRW cummins with about 550 rwhp. he broke 3 gears (5th cs, 6th ms, 6th cs) while racing a megacab. he was in 2wd (Cause of a bad front axle u joint) and on dirt when he did this. missed his shift from 2nd to 3rd. so the question is should i just replace the gears and put the trans back together? or does he need some kind of harder gears? i have heard a little about cyro treatment, is this something he should do? it is just a dd/ play toy. thanks for any input on this topic. Jason

I would think at 550 rwhp stock gears should be fine. There are many sled pullers over 1000hp with stock gears. The one caveat is they are not usually shifting gears. The gears are loaded and don't have the shock force of shifting and dumping the clutch.

I say cryo all the internals if you have a reputable shop to use. It cost about $350 locally to do a whole trans.

Tapamaxxing

i dont know if there are any shops around here that do cyro treatment. anybody if there is around Spokane, WA? eastern Washington? northern Idaho? he also has a double disk valair ceramic pad clutch, and 37" cooper stt tires. so im sure neither of those help the trans any.

Back