OBD2 Extension Harness?

Begle1

I want to add an Edge Insight onto a truck, but I don't want to have a big connector plugged permanently into the stock OBDII port. It's ugly and tacky.

Is it possible to tap into all the wires that go into the back of an OBDII port and put another port in parallel to the stock one?

Would having the Insight permanently wired parallel to the stock port disable the stock port in any way?

Is there a limited amount of length I can extend wires off the port before I start introducing too much EFI for things to work properly?

I've heard some talk about extending and splicing OBD ports, I don't think I've ever heard reports of proper operation though.

:thankyou2:

OOoohhh, there's a thought... Thanks.

I would still need to extend one of those pig tails a few feet, but that should be able to make it pretty clean.

Does the existence of that splitter mean that you can hook two OBDII readers into the same port without there being total melt-down?

Last edited:
Might run into several potential problems (keep in mind, I have no idea what signals are brought out on the OBDII port):
Speaking from JTAG test interface (boundary scan) experience, some signals simply cannot be extended due to timing issues stemming from substantially longer wire runs. Some signals might need to be shielded or twisted paired, etc. I highly doubt anything is so timing sensitive in the OBDII port...give it a whirl- if it doesn't work, shorten the cable until it does. I don't know if it would be impedance sensitive either. Doubt it.

Back