Odd VE fuel leak

Cummins12Club

Happy Dinosaur
My friend has a 92 (still VE) and is experiencing a very unusual fuel leak from the injection pump. I have personally done all of the modifications to the truck so I know it well. This fuel leak is a constant drip and it is coming from the rotor head by the delivery valve holders. I have had both the holders and the injection lines off of this truck, but that was a while ago and neither the holders or the lines leaked. This leak appears to be sealing between the rotor head and that pointless bracket that bolts to the back of the rotor head. I have taken the throttle linkage and bracket off to get a better look but I cannot see any holders leaking. I will inspect closer tomorrow but for the time being any ideas? Also the pump is fueled by an air dog 150 set to 15psi.

Gotta be the oring around the head... or a delivery valve copper washer

Gotta be the oring around the head... or a delivery valve copper washer

Hmmm I couldn't see the copper washer in the delivery valve holder to just randomly start leaking. I could not see any fuel from the delivery valve holders, rotor head I ring sounds likely. He said it never did it untill it got really cold here one night, about zero degrees. He said ever since then it has leaked. I am wondering if the super cold mixed with 20 year old seals and 15 psi of fuel pressure has caused his pump seals to take a turn for the worst. If I remember correctly a VE is only really rated for 12psi, I understand that people have run up to 20psi with no issues but I have heard of a few trucks that had weak seals and 15psi finished them off.

When my pump head seal started leaking i went to the local shop and got the seal kit to replace all the seals. The tech there recommended i buy knew plunger springs and said he has found that when the plunger spring breaks the head seal will start leaking. I pulled my pump apart and he was right. Truck ran fine but had a broken plunger spring.

So, in conclusion, one should likely do a re-seal.
It's not a hard job, by any means.

Mark.

When my pump head seal started leaking i went to the local shop and got the seal kit to replace all the seals. The tech there recommended i buy knew plunger springs and said he has found that when the plunger spring breaks the head seal will start leaking. I pulled my pump apart and he was right. Truck ran fine but had a broken plunger spring.

Good to know thanks! I have resealed the pump top on my truck before and I've had a rotor head off an old junk pump but that's about as deep as I've gotten. Not looking forward to taking the pump off his truck :/

If you're going to do the reseal i suggest ordering and replacing the plunger springs as well. You'll already have the head off so it's not but 5 minutes more work.

My local shop had a home made tool to remove the front shaft seal so you don't have to completely remove the shaft. They removed and replaced the seal for me for free. I just took the pump with me when i picked up the springs and they just did it while i waited.

Good to know except Dallas Texas is a far way from norther Kentucky lol. I'm sure a local shop will have a way to do that too. If the outcome is new seals I honestly look for him to just want to p pump it, and deal with the leak untill he does so

Turns out it was either a delivery valve holder or injection line it must have been slowing seeping. It's all good now thanks for the help.

Back